USAF flight suit questions

Littleguy

3 questions:

1: What boot colors are excepted? I've seen multiple people run around wearing black boots, but I've seen a small maount of enlisted guys wear sage green boots.

2: What jackets are permitted? Same group of people I've seen wear sage green boots wore a black jacket and a brown jacket, and I've heard of sage green jackets, too.

3: What hats/caps/covers do you wear with it. Kind of stepping out of the boundaries of the USAF, but I've seen 2 HMX-1 guys when they were on Otis because of Obama's Cape visit wear their desert MCCUU 8-point covers. I've also seen garrison caps, and a ball-cap or 2 when at airshows.

El Bibliotecario

When I first began visiting the local Air Force base, I was surprised at the number of commissioned mechanics--which is what I assumed the fellows in OD coveralls were, until I learned they were airplane drivers. The only headgear I've ever seen folks in flight suits wearing is an AF blue version of what the army called a 'cap, garrision' and the GIs called an obscene name--the fore-and-aft cap whose only virtue as headgear is that it folds flat and can be stuck under a shoulder loop. I've never paid any attention to the footgear of those wearing flight suits--will try to remember to look on my next visit.

While the sage green boots are all the I see on display in the military clothing sales section of the BX, In as much as I've noticed, this sort of footgear now seems to be the norm for EM in camouflage utility uniforms. But I occasionally see folks wearing black boots, as well as the older green-black-brown camouflage BDUs, so I'm wondering if there is a grace period still in effect for these obsolescent items of uniform, as was the case during the changeover from OD utility uniforms to camouflage.

I've no idea what sort of jackets are worn with flight suits because its so warm where I live that people seldom wear jackets.

3 questions:

1: What boot colors are excepted? I've seen multiple people run around wearing black boots, but I've seen a small maount of enlisted guys wear sage green boots.

2: What jackets are permitted? Same group of people I've seen wear sage green boots wore a black jacket and a brown jacket, and I've heard of sage green jackets, too.

3: What hats/caps/covers do you wear with it. Kind of stepping out of the boundaries of the USAF, but I've seen 2 HMX-1 guys when they were on Otis because of Obama's Cape visit wear their desert MCCUU 8-point covers. I've also seen garrison caps, and a ball-cap or 2 when at airshows.

Answers (for Air Force at least):

1. IAW (In Accordance With) Air Force Instruction 36-2903 paragraph 3.2.8.

Footwear. In-garrison, wear any combat boot that is authorized in Chapter 2, Table 2.2. or

Table 2.4. (as applicable). Mandatory for flight operations; the primary aircrew boots authorized in

AS016, are the FWU-3P, FWU-8/P, and the lightweight model 700, 770, and 790 Bellville® Aircrew

Boot. Lace-up zipper inserts may be used.

2. paragraph 3.2.3. Flight Jacket. The Installation commander determines seasonal requirements. Either green

Nomex™ or the leather A-2 flying jacket may be worn with the FDU.

FDU is the Flight Duty Uniform. I have never seen or heard of a black jacket, although I have seen a couple of leather jackets that were very dark brown.

3. para. 3.2.4. Headgear. Flight cap is worn with the FDU as described in Chapter 2 of this instruction.

Headgear for the DFDU will be the flight cap, DCU hat, or desert style floppy hat.

But, basically crewdogs, as we (I was one once) call ourselves; will try to get away with what ever we think is most comfortable, convenient, or looks cool to us. Hope this is what you were looking for.

El Bibliotecario

Stopped by the military clothing sales store today, where the clerk told me that both black and sage green flight boots, or flying boots, or somesuch, may be worn with flying suits. She didnt have any black boots in stock, but showed me how the sage green boots vary from the garden variety worn with the utliity uniform because they have a supposed fire resistant liner.

I asked who wore the khaki suede boots she had on display; she replied that they were for army personnel--so fifteen minutes later I spotted an air force NCO wearing a pair. As the previous poster points out, there are uniform regulations, and there is the real world.

Stopped by the military clothing sales store today, where the clerk told me that both black and sage green flight boots, or flying boots, or somesuch, may be worn with flying suits. She didnt have any black boots in stock, but showed me how the sage green boots vary from the garden variety worn with the utliity uniform because they have a supposed fire resistant liner.

I asked who wore the khaki suede boots she had on display; she replied that they were for army personnel--so fifteen minutes later I spotted an air force NCO wearing a pair. As the previous poster points out, there are uniform regulations, and there is the real world.

Here's some more information about Air Force boot policy from this HQ AFPC message :

6. ABU SAGE GREEN BOOTS ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WITH ALL UTILITY UNIFORMS - ABU, BDU, DCU, OLIVE DRAB (OD) GREEN FLIGHT SUIT AND DESERT TAN FLIGHT SUIT. DESERT TAN BOOTS ARE ALSO AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WITH THE ABU,UNTIL THE MANDATORY WEAR DATE OF NOV 2011. SOCK COLOR FOR THE ABU BOOT IS SAGE GREEN, OR ANY COLOR AUTHORIZED WITH NON-ABU UTILITY UNIFORM. CERTIFIED SAFE-TO-FLY BOOTS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN OCT 07.

When I first began visiting the local Air Force base, I was surprised at the number of commissioned mechanics--which is what I assumed the fellows in OD coveralls were, until I learned they were airplane drivers.

I'm just curious, did you have no contact with or just pay no attention to Army Aviators in the standard flightsuit? :think:

Before the current war the normal USAF aircrew member wore black flying boots, sage green flight suit, officer or enlisted flight cap, and if needed a leather jacket or sage green jacket.

A brown or fleece jacket may have been fleece layer to the ECWS uniform.

SAC crew members would be seen with parkas, bunny hats and mucklucs.