Dress Blue 'Pot Metal' Lead Collar Emblems

Brig

Here are a couple dress blue econo lead emblems I've picked up over my travels. the first I find very interesting. The slanted eagle variant, however it has a brass roller AND, most interestingly, a PIERCED anchor, a practice that was stopped mid-war. The second piece is even more crude, with lead bits holding the anchor to the globe for reinforcement. The top of the anchor is missing, and it looks like someone tried to remove the North America continent for some odd reason think.gif

102_0090.JPG

I know, the one on the right is absolutely horrible. Picked it up at a flea market with a WWII Staff Sergeant dress blue chevron. I'm surprised they'd make econo-lead dress blue emblems. The one on the left isn't so bad, I'd still like to learn more about the slanted eagle, the service alpha econo-lead thread has them up, as well

• 6 months later...
usmcaviator

Come on, Drunken Lead?? Is that like Jackie Chan's Drunken Master?? Some of these names you guys come up with for these insignia are killing me!

I believe the 'drunken' name for this bird came from Jeremiah or Bobgee because of the odd angle the bird has...I just borrowed the phrase

teufelhunde.ret
I believe the 'drunken' name for this bird came from Jeremiah or Bobgee because of the odd angle the bird has...I just borrowed the phrase

Good memory Tim, It was first coined by Bobgee: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ost&p=56488

I recall Gary once having spoken about these econ-lead and their "issues". Apparently he tried everything in sight to no avail. But here's a thought, drop by one of the inexpensive jeweler types you see in the malls, get their thoughts and if a reasonable cost let them make the fix? ;)

Nice find, Brig. Here's that bird I called my 'drunken bird'. He sure looks unsteady standing on that globe! These are real crap but surely some WW2 'Jarhead' bought and wore them! Semper Fi......Bobgee

post_503_1188164764.jpg

jeremiahcable

Bob is correct, I have had some uniforms with those hideous things on them. Worth having in a collection because of what they are but definatly not for looks!

Brig, if you really want to go to the effort of repairing that one you could brush a little JB Weld on the back. It's a two part mix epoxy that you can find at automotive stores and it would match the finish nicely. Personally, I'd just find a replacement bird at the same cost as the JB!

• 1 month later...

Is this roller a replacement? Fits perfectly. Maybe a new roller varient we haven't seen or that I just overlooked in the reference? Smooth sides, thicker, with the inside a bit hollowed

Lead_Dress_Front.JPG

Lead_Dress_Rear.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Tim, don't quote me here, I think those are rollers one would see on the back of post war army emblems?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

here's another nice matched pair I just picked up. these have been selling high lately, managed to snag this crude pair for a few cents shy of 30 on eBay. The rollers stand out to me

Dress_Lead_Fronts.JPG

Lead_Dress_Rears.JPG

teufelhunde.ret
here's another nice matched pair I just picked up. these have been selling high lately, managed to snag this crude pair for a few cents shy of 30 on eBay. The rollers stand out to me

Indeed they have been selling high think.gif It's not like they are rare in any sense, but the rollers are different?

not so much different. they appear to have been formerly painted or detailed black, they just stand out, nothing special