M1967 Nylon suspenders & unknown suspenders

craig_pickrall

• 1 year later...
craig_pickrall

I bought a group of experimental Vietnam era USMC gear in the early to mid 1980's. The first set of suspenders was part of that lot. I found other sets of them at Ft Bragg a few years later. There are no markings but the material is typical of that used during Vietnam. These suspenders have heavy nylon webbing for the shoulder straps but the nylon used for the X on the back and for the ends to support the hooks is to light weight to endure combat. I have seen that same nylon web used in other experimental gear. They are not made to have other gear hooked to them but rather are made to support the weight of an equipment belt only.

I bought a group of experimental Vietnam era USMC gear in the early to mid 1980's. The first set of suspenders was part of that lot. I found other sets of them at Ft Bragg a few years later. There are no markings but the material is typical of that used during Vietnam. These suspenders have heavy nylon webbing for the shoulder straps but the nylon used for the X on the back and for the ends to support the hooks is to light weight to endure combat. I have seen that same nylon web used in other experimental gear. They are not made to have other gear hooked to them but rather are made to support the weight of an equipment belt only.

craig i dont think is an item that worth any further exploration from you or from anyone alse...it does'nt even look US military...even african paramilitary groups & guerillas are using more sophisticated suspenders thumbdown.gif is a really crappy looking piece of equipment...i hope you did'nt spent more than 1$ to get it...

craig_pickrall

If it is okay with you I will continue to explore what they are until I find out for sure. I don't think there is any Africian tie in, non Italian or even Greece. They are made using American hardware and webbing and came with the experimental nylon pouches shown in this link:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=9624

A few minutes ago I posted another thread on Vietnam era ammo pouches and realized the thin nylon webbing and the hardware is the same as that used to secure the M1967 nylon ammo pouches to the suspenders. I am reasonably sure they are experimental. I do agree with you that they are crappy construction but then much of the experimental gear is made to demonstrate an idea / concept and are not made tough enough to handle field exercises.

It isn't to often that I discuss prices of gear but since you asked, these suspenders came as part of a package deal. I paid $20 in the mid 1980's and the contents of the deal would be worth approximately $700 today. Please let me know your thoughts on how badly I got screwed.

If it is okay with you I will continue to explore what they are until I find out for sure. I don't think there is any Africian tie in, non Italian or even Greece. They are made using American hardware and webbing and came with the experimental nylon pouches shown in this link:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=9624

A few minutes ago I posted another thread on Vietnam era ammo pouches and realized the thin nylon webbing and the hardware is the same as that used to secure the M1967 nylon ammo pouches to the suspenders. I am reasonably sure they are experimental. I do agree with you that they are crappy construction but then much of the experimental gear is made to demonstrate an idea / concept and are not made tough enough to handle field exercises.

It isn't to often that I discuss prices of gear but since you asked, these suspenders came as part of a package deal. I paid $20 in the mid 1980's and the contents of the deal would be worth approximately $700 today. Please let me know your thoughts on how badly I got screwed.

craig the grenade pouch is an experimental item for sure

the pathetic looking suspenders & the SKS Simonov chinese style & quality pouches i dont think they are US experimental...the US ARMY even for experiments does'nt make so terribly looking things...in adition i cannot understand the old WWII style buckle revival in a US suspender "even experimental" after 30 or so years...is'nt an odd thing?..if you want to keep thinking that they are experimental that's okay for me but logicaly they are not i'm reasonable unsure they are experimental

i did'nt meant to be rude with you & i apologise in public if you get me that wrong...simply your suspender is a pathetic looking item..as you do agree with me on that also..& simply i expressed my thought abt the crappy item...nothing personal...nothing against you...nothing nothing nothing i apologise again my thoughts were strictly military

and if we accept as a fact that they are experimental what's the point of the experiment? to test how good is the chinese SKS pouches & the zamunda suspenders with a posibility of the adoption of this primitive design by the US ARMY?!!!

if you have seen them in fort bragg then is a cheap export item made for the contras of nicaragua or for OPFOR troops to simulate chinese soldiers during manouvers

i cannot even imagine an american soldier wearing chi-com style pouches & african suspenders not even as a joke

• 2 years later...

I dug out my USMC 1967 H suspenders. I found them in the early 90s at the OVMS Show. I bought them thinking they were Army ones. Back in those days the Army Nylon suspenders were rare and I was happy to get at least one example.

When I went back to NY and showed them to my buddy Mike, he said you're skrewed, you bought a pair of useless USMC Nylon suspenders which never been used in VN.

So I put them in storage till today. Mines have a different marking from Craig's. I will post some pics on Sunday.

The markings on the left shoulder pad read :

Lot No.

SUSPENDERS COMBAT

8465 - 078 - 4581

DSA 100 - 68 - C - 2609

There is another marking on the right pad but unreadable. All hooks have the anchor mark and snaps are made by Scovill MFG Co.