WWI US Naval Aviator Uniform Info

1917Corpsman

Hello All,

I'm looking at starting a WWI US Naval Aviator impression, but before I started I did have some questions I'm hoping to get help on?

-What color what the service uniform? Drab or Forest Green?

-What did the greatcoats look like? Any similar in style to it?

-Did they have a blues and white uniform like average US Naval officers?

-Where can I find replicas of the leather flight jackets?

-What was the average age of a US Navy aviator?

Looking forward to any guidance!

Thank You,

Richard

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Richard,

Hi, here are some answers.

WW1 aviators (officer) wore two basic types of uniforms.

The aviation green color of uniform (the color is much the same as today's uniform) It (normally, and remember standardization in WW1 was "loose" compared to today). It had four pleated pockets, used standard Navy buttons, and could use either slip on boards or sewn down boards. Was high collar that closed.

They also wore a working tan uniform, which was worn with either the slide on boards or sewen on. These tunics had either two or four pleated pockets, I've seen them both ways. As far as wings, I've seen both sewen on and pinback wings. There is a debate over voided versus non-voided wings being WW1 or slightly after, I had a group with both in it, and the guy seperated in 1919, so in my mind either will work. There is no reason that they couldn't wear either blues or whites, however, the eariler blue tunic I don't think was worn at all, at least I haven't seen an example that I didn't think was a collectors creation.

As far as the overcoat goes, the few I've seen were aviation green with gold cuff braid. Slip on boards could be worn on the examples I've seen.

As far as the WW2 style flight jackets, well, they didn't have them. The government did issue leather flight "overgarments" but, a lot of pilots bought their own stuff, so commerically available is perfectly ok. The key with early pilots was warm and in layers! LOL No heat, castor oil whacking you in the face, something that would burn nicely coated with a flamable substance and made of wood, what could be better! LOL

What price Glory might have repops, but I've actually never seen repops of any of it. The wings, yep, the cloth, no. Doesn't mean it isn't out there, I just don't know where it is!

The average age was in their 20's, with older being the exception rather than the norm. A lot of the WW1 Navy pilots came from "nice families of means" and were in only through the duration. Naval flying was still not a career path, with the career ticket still being in capital ships.

Hope this helps,

Jack

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your info. I wasn't so sure about the blues jacket if it was the 8 button double breasted or the one with the mohair?

Thanks Again,

Richard

Richard,

Hi, here are some answers.

WW1 aviators (officer) wore two basic types of uniforms.

The aviation green color of uniform (the color is much the same as today's uniform) It (normally, and remember standardization in WW1 was "loose" compared to today). It had four pleated pockets, used standard Navy buttons, and could use either slip on boards or sewn down boards. Was high collar that closed.

They also wore a working tan uniform, which was worn with either the slide on boards or sewen on. These tunics had either two or four pleated pockets, I've seen them both ways. As far as wings, I've seen both sewen on and pinback wings. There is a debate over voided versus non-voided wings being WW1 or slightly after, I had a group with both in it, and the guy seperated in 1919, so in my mind either will work. There is no reason that they couldn't wear either blues or whites, however, the eariler blue tunic I don't think was worn at all, at least I haven't seen an example that I didn't think was a collectors creation.

As far as the overcoat goes, the few I've seen were aviation green with gold cuff braid. Slip on boards could be worn on the examples I've seen.

As far as the WW2 style flight jackets, well, they didn't have them. The government did issue leather flight "overgarments" but, a lot of pilots bought their own stuff, so commerically available is perfectly ok. The key with early pilots was warm and in layers! LOL No heat, castor oil whacking you in the face, something that would burn nicely coated with a flamable substance and made of wood, what could be better! LOL

What price Glory might have repops, but I've actually never seen repops of any of it. The wings, yep, the cloth, no. Doesn't mean it isn't out there, I just don't know where it is!

The average age was in their 20's, with older being the exception rather than the norm. A lot of the WW1 Navy pilots came from "nice families of means" and were in only through the duration. Naval flying was still not a career path, with the career ticket still being in capital ships.

Hope this helps,

Jack

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your info. I wasn't so sure about the blues jacket if it was the 8 button double breasted or the one with the mohair?

Thanks Again,

Richard

The double breasted style blue uniforms were used by Naval Aviators in WWI, but in a VERY linited fashion. I have a 1917 dated one named in the pocket ( the wing is missing but the outline is visable). The name in the pocket is verified to a person who was a pilot.

Kurt

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Kurt,

Thanks for verifying that. All the mohair ones that I've seen over the years were put togethers with 30's style wings sewen on. I know that there were some tailors that were turning out the double breasted ones in England, I have one here that is dated 1918 to a surface guy. Any named early Navy (or Air Service for that matter) tunic is hard enough to find, finding one that hasn't been "improved" is even tougher! I've got to scan in Contact and other souces into a PDA to lug around with me to check. I wish someone would make Gorrels easier to use than the clunky version that is online.

Jack

The double breasted style blue uniforms were used by Naval Aviators in WWI, but in a VERY linited fashion. I have a 1917 dated one named in the pocket ( the wing is missing but the outline is visable). The name in the pocket is verified to a person who was a pilot.

Kurt

Kurt,

Do you have some photos of your double breasted jacket I could look at? I have a mohair trimmed tunic, but haven't really seen a colored photo of the double breasted coat.

Thanks,

Richard

Kurt,

Do you have some photos of your double breasted jacket I could look at? I have a mohair trimmed tunic, but haven't really seen a colored photo of the double breasted coat.

Thanks,

Richard

I can take some later.

Kurt

Here it is. Its is dated 1918 , not 1917. It is named to S.P. Mahoney ( Stephen P. Mahoney ). He is listed in Flying Officers of the USN 1917-1919 and also the 1919 USNRF Register.

I think someone added the overseas chevron.

MVC_001L.JPG

MVC_003L.JPG

MVC_005L.JPG

Thanks for sharing these photos. It's a beautiful uniform! I was thinking is was an 8 button front, but looks like it's a 6 button double breast coat.

Thanks again!

Richard

post-105-1293590856.jpg

post-105-1293590868.jpg

It is hard to see in this pic, but there is an indentation and the ouline of a wing.

post-105-1293590877.jpg

Chiefs wore eight button, officers wore six. Flying officers had all the same uniforms as regular officers, with the addition or the Aviation Green and khaki working uniforms.

Steve Hesson