M1967 Nylon Butt Packs and later versions

craig_pickrall

bent barrel

That's kinda what I figured. Thanks, though- it always helps to know what's in the collection, so my heirs will be able to price it right when they sell it off!!

Any thoughts on this pack? Looks like the late 70's version Craig posted to my eye, but no eyelets along the left hand edge. No internal markings except a 2 inside a circel. The US on the front flap is very faint.

Looks like a late 1980s pattern training pack

• 3 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

Can you also get a pic of the back and any labels? That will tell more than the front pic does. Maybe some of the recent GI's can say whether they used camo butt packs in basic.

• 5 months later...

This is an interesting thread however it got somewhat confusing for me in that some of the photos didn't come up.

I have a nylon shoulder style pack (I think it's in the attic of the barn!) but I also purchased this "butt pack" style pack today for 50 cents. Completely devoid of all markings, no velcro anywhere but seems reasonably well made. The interior has a a "sack-like" arrangement such that you open it up, put your stuff in I suppose, wrap it up and then tie it down. It sort of reminds me of the canvas butt packs we were issued in the Army in the mid-70's with the rubbarized type interior. All the eyelets seem to be in the right place to connect with the over-the-shoulder straps and belt.

This looks similar to the so-called early 70's version from page one here but maybe not.

thanks for your opinions of what I have.

Kim

post-60-1252281419.jpg

post-60-1252281448.jpg

This is an interesting thread however it got somewhat confusing for me in that some of the photos didn't come up.

I have a nylon shoulder style pack (I think it's in the attic of the barn!) but I also purchased this "butt pack" style pack today for 50 cents. Completely devoid of all markings, no velcro anywhere but seems reasonably well made. The interior has a a "sack-like" arrangement such that you open it up, put your stuff in I suppose, wrap it up and then tie it down. It sort of reminds me of the canvas butt packs we were issued in the Army in the mid-70's with the rubbarized type interior. All the eyelets seem to be in the right place to connect with the over-the-shoulder straps and belt.

This looks similar to the so-called early 70's version from page one here but maybe not.

thanks for your opinions of what I have.

Kim

You just seriously lucked out today!

What is the going price for these today? I have seen auctions go as high as $200.

T-Bone

craig_pickrall

Kim, that is one of the private purchase packs sold in surplus stores. If you start to compare with an issue pack there are several small details that vary but two key features are that the bottom straps are not there and the top flap securing straps should extend back to the handle. If you go back to the beginning of this thread and look at the first four packs I posted the two issue packs have these features and the two private purchase packs do not.

IMG00179.jpg

M1967back.jpg

M1967inside.jpg

found a trick....scanner with top unit off, and room reasonably bright, brought out the details of the markings.....this is a 86 dated "training pack" correct?

as for the carrier, it is used in place of the buttpack, or with the buttpack moved up to the shoulder on the M1967 H harness...otherwise, I am not sure how it attaches to the lightweight rucksack, but i believe it could attach through the loops of the top of the frame, and the velcro loops wrap onto the rucksack's top flap's 2 straps.... if that works, then that is another way to mount it?

craig_pickrall
how does this carrier attach to the lightweigh rucksack??

Do you mean the Rucksack with the external frame or the Pack with the X frame?

craig_pickrall

You are correct, that is a 1986 dated training pack. You can tell by the Velcro loops and the D rings plus of course the printed date. If the date is washed away then the details are what you have to use.

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=12287

Follow this link. It is the manual and instruction sheets for the setup of the Light Weight Rucksack with Frame. It shows the intended methods of use and the butt pack is not included in any of the info.

I don´t think so.

I have one that we figured out to be the Army M-1967 pattern butt pack.

Check this:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...27056&st=60

The one in the auction does not have the lower straps and the two tabs on the backside are missing.

• 4 months later...
Hello,

whats about this item?

regards G

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...%3D1&_rdc=1

Based on the markings on the inner flap, I'd say reproduction/copy. The company "World Military" sounds suspect for the name of a supplier to the DoD in the late 60s and I'm not familiar with the "WMO" designation. I refer you back to Post #37 for an example of what one would typically see under the flap. Standard DSA contract numbering system and a familiar supplier, like Eastern Canvas Products.

• 5 years later...