Toy guns...time for some nostalgia?

Sabrejet

Robswashashore
How about this bad-boy?!

post-8022-1293488864.jpg

Sabrejet :packin heat:

OMG Ian, call out the authorities! The lad in the picture on the box is POINTING THE GUN AT SOMEONE!!!!!!!

Didn't anyone teach that boy that Crime is Busted with Reasoning Words and Love?

Jean

When all the other kids had the latest and greatest six shooter, all I had was a crumby ol’ ray gun. That’s what you get when you have older brothers. I had to wait for ebay to replace my childhood arsenal. The handle on the Buck Rogers gun cocks, making for a pretty good pop when the trigger is pulled. The rifle is a 27” long ‘Newell Airfire Sub-Machine Gun’. Sliding the front handle back and forth would launch a ping-pong ball. The problem is that today’s ping-pong balls are too large. Anybody have any 1950’s vintage balls?

post-20555-1293558913.jpg

Hi Jean. Quite! PC gone crazy! I'm one of the post-war baby-boomer generation. When I was a kid we either played "War" or "Cowboys 'n' Injuns". We were all suitably armed and when we finished playing there were bodies everywhere (btw..the good guys always won!) Nevertheless...the experience has not turned me into a homicidal maniac in my adult years, nor have I ever needed any form of counselling...and I suspect the same would be true of pretty much of all my gun-totin' contemporaries too!!

Ian ;)

Gads! Iwas born in '53 also. Do mothers in Wales throw away thier kids toys too?

Tinman

A vintage year! I think the answer lies in our attraction to the fairer sex. Once girls are "discovered", toys (including guns) go out the proverbial window. Our mothers then...(bless 'em all)..made unilateral decisions and assumed that the latter were no longer needed /wanted. How wrong they were....!! Know what I mean?

Ian :crying:

Robswashashore
Hi Jean. Quite! PC gone crazy! I'm one of the post-war baby-boomer generation. When I was a kid we either played "War" or "Cowboys 'n' Injuns". We were all suitably armed and when we finished playing there were bodies everywhere (btw..the good guys always won!) Nevertheless...the experience has not turned me into a homicidal maniac in my adult years, nor have I ever needed any form of counselling...and I suspect the same would be true of pretty much of all my gun-totin' contemporaries too!!

Ian ;)

Reminds me of when "Little Robbie" (our 18 yo) was in pre-school. He drew a picture of a battleship, complete with big guns blazing. I was called into school to discuss this! I saved him (and myself, and my husband) from a referral to counseling by somehow convincing the teacher that it really was his rendition of the Rainbow Warrior Greenpeace ship!

Reminds me of when "Little Robbie" (our 18 yo) was in pre-school. He drew a picture of a battleship, complete with big guns blazing. I was called into school to discuss this! I saved him (and myself, and my husband) from a referral to counseling by somehow convincing the teacher that it really was his rendition of the Rainbow Warrior Greenpeace ship!

Wonderful!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian

Tinman...I think I qualify. I was born in '53.....

Sabrejet :rolleyes:

I knew someone was going to respond to that statement! :rolleyes: It was narrowed down to two people and you were one of the two! :lol:

I think you beat JS by a little bit! :lol:

...Kat

I knew someone was going to respond to that statement! :rolleyes: It was narrowed down to two people and you were one of the two! :lol:

I think you beat JS by a little bit! :lol:

...Kat

Hi Kat. JS has to get up early in the morning to put one past me!!

Ian ;)

Unfortunately, this picture demonstrates why the PC driven, anti-gun lobby are so down on toy/replica firearms. 1:1 scale and ultra-realistic....until you hold one! However, walk into an all-night liquor store brandishing one of these and no-one's going to argue with you!

post-8022-1293565658.jpg

Ian

AND..........that's only because of the time difference!! :w00t:

I would have had ya, if it weren't for that. :P

Actually, the part that scares me is that I am now starting to think like both of you! :pinch:

You two men are bad influences! I knew what response both of you would have!

Actually, the part that scares me is that I am now starting to think like both of you! :pinch:

You two men are bad influences! I knew what response both of you would have!

Sorry ma'am!

Ian :(

Called to the office for drawing a battleship... I'd be afraid too, seein' as how they can shell a target from 25 miles away. Kids can get at 'em real easy, too, unless they have TRIGGER LOCKS in all the TURRETS. Cripes, when I was in 2nd grade, i think every book project I did involved WWII aerial combat, either PTO or ETO. Good bit of avenging Pearl Harbor in my warped little grade school stories.

Irrational fear of weapons has been said to be a symptom of projection. People fear them because they have issues themselves. Those airsoft guns do look realistic, but wouldn't be much of a problem with a public legally carrying the real thing. Crooks still need to be afraid of getting shot.

I made this wooden Thompson when I was 15 years old. I owned an original 20 round magazine, and by scaling it off of a photo in a Guns & Ammo magazine article about the Thompson, I was able to make it pretty realistic. I even went as far as to put the winding key on the front of the drum magazine. My brother and I had quite an arsenal that we made from wood. His Thompson actually used the original magazine previously mentioned, and it was removable from the "gun". We made two M3 SMG's with telescoping wire stocks, a BAR with folding bipod, two M1 rifles, and an M60 with hinged top cover. All are still at my parents house out in the barn.

10 years later, I managed to save up enough money to buy my dream gun, the M1928A1 included in the pictures.

MVC_016S.JPG

MVC_017S.JPG

I made this wooden Thompson when I was 15 years old. I owned an original 20 round magazine, and by scaling it off of a photo in a Guns & Ammo magazine article about the Thompson, I was able to make it pretty realistic. I even went as far as to put the winding key on the front of the drum magazine. My brother and I had quite an arsenal that we made from wood. His Thompson actually used the original magazine previously mentioned, and it was removable from the "gun". We made two M3 SMG's with telescoping wire stocks, a BAR with folding bipod, two M1 rifles, and an M60 with hinged top cover. All are still at my parents house out in the barn.

10 years later, I managed to save up enough money to buy my dream gun, the M1928A1 included in the pictures.

post-61-1293594105.jpg

post-61-1293594114.jpg

Thats a heck of a job at any age! :thumbsup:

Salvage Sailor
Here are what is left of 'my' arsenal from when I was a kid. Along with the 'belt' which is plastic. Both have been passed along to my son (11) who still plays with them (albeit very, very carefully). The belt is on display as it's at least 40 years old and I don't think it would take that sort of 'thing' anymore.

The 'silver' 45 is badly corroded inside from the thousands of caps that went through it LOL.

That's the Marx .45 Auto rig from the early 1960's. I still have mine in a box somewhere around here (minus the .45). Pretty sure it's in a box along with a Marx paratrooper with a camo chute.

I've got hundreds of my old US Army/Marine/foreign Marx soldiers with the tanks, landing craft, emplacements, etc stored in the warehouse. Haven't seen them for years but if I come across them, I'll shoot some photos.