Toy guns...time for some nostalgia?

Sabrejet

That's right, Ian. My mom took some of dad's patches and sewed them onto that "Junior Warrior" jumpsuit she made. The helmet, complete with plastic foliage, the Thompson, a 1911 Colt, and plastic grenades came as part of a COMBAT playset. That picture is from 1965. That was the coolest thing I ever had!

Sadly, the Thompson got run over by a lawnmower when I left it outside in a "foxhole" some years later.

Doubly sadly, the patches, and the other remaining items I had of dad's army service, were stolen from my house a couple years ago.

Terry

That's a shame...sorry to hear that Terry.

Ian

Jason G said:
GREAT thread! I love it!

I had a green plastic 'Thompson' that made the 'clackclack' sound. Alas, it finally was "Killed in Action" in the vicious Battle of Tree Fort, circa 1980 or so.

However, I did manage to hang on to the rest of the set. Pics will follow shortly!

Here are what is left of 'my' arsenal from when I was a kid. Along with the 'belt' which is plastic. Both have been passed along to my son (11) who still plays with them (albeit very, very carefully). The belt is on display as it's at least 40 years old and I don't think it would take that sort of 'thing' anymore.

The 'silver' 45 is badly corroded inside from the thousands of caps that went through it LOL.

post-271-1293474700.jpg

post-271-1293474873.jpg

On display in my living room, this 'Monkey Division" (by REMCO) Bazooka was a rescue from the trash a few years back. The tow truck in the background was mine as a kid. The other toys are (believe it or not) also trash rescues from the last few years.

post-271-1293474873.jpg

On display in my living room, this 'Monkey Division" (by REMCO) Bazooka was a rescue from the trash a few years back. The tow truck in the background was mine as a kid. The other toys are (believe it or not) also trash rescues from the last few years.

One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Ian :thumbsup:

post-271-1293475229.jpg

This one was also mine. "Agent Zero M" pistol, which converts for spy use into a camera. I've also got the coloring book that goes with it LOL. It's sitting on my USAF Tonka 'Jeep' that was also mine.

Lest anyone think that I didn't play with my toys, I did. None of my own personal 'stuff' is mint, but I stored it on top of my dad's garage when I left for the Marines, and there it remained until about six months ago when he finally said "Get this CRAP out of here or I'm tossin it!". LOL.

Luckily I have a very, very cool wife who endulges me and lets me display most of this stuff :)

Thanks Ian! You can't be 'too proud' to stop alongside the road when you see what looks like a good 'pile' either :)

This last one is the shot of what my son got for Christmas this year. (My daughter ALSO got the Nerf Machine gun and a holster/pistol set as well).

(The Thompson is from one of our members, Thanks Holloman!)

post-271-1293475499.jpg

(And yes, that is the dogs Christmas stocking...NOT the kids LOL)

... and here's my old Parris Dunn '03 :thumbsup:

03-a.jpg

03-b.jpg

03-c.jpg

The Parris-Dunn training rifles are an interesting lot. I have one that belongs to a friend, who got it as a child after WWII. It has a US stock cartouche with an anchor symbol, and the buttplate is marked a little differently than yours:

DUMMY TRAINING RIFLE

MARK 1 - U.S.N.

PARRIS-DUNN CORP.

CLARINDA, IOWA

I have been meaning to clean it up with some very fine bronze wool. It was in a garage at one point, and got a bunch of paint overspray on one side of it.

David Albert

[email protected]

This thread really brings back the memories. I had so many of these toy guns as a kid in the late 50's and early 60's. Alas, mine are all gone. Too many years of hard use. I remember one Christmas, my brother an I both got tripod mounted machine guns. (We called them .50 calibers) These were battery operated and made quite a racket. After awhile of both my brother and I just mashing down the button triggers for continuious fire, my dad (US Army vet) told us to fire them in bursts or we'd burn out the barrels.

This thread really brings back the memories. I had so many of these toy guns as a kid in the late 50's and early 60's. Alas, mine are all gone. Too many years of hard use. I remember one Christmas, my brother an I both got tripod mounted machine guns. (We called them .50 calibers) These were battery operated and made quite a racket. After awhile of both my brother and I just mashing down the button triggers for continuious fire, my dad (US Army vet) told us to fire them in bursts or we'd burn out the barrels.

Sound advice!?

Sabrejet ;)

This thread just gets better and better.

I do currently have some BB guns on hand - A standard Daisy Red Ryder; a limited edition Red Ryder and a matching Little Beaver rifles; and a Limited Edition Christmas Story Red Ryder - the one "with the compass in the stock and that thing which tells time."

I'd post some pics but it appears that PictureTrail is offline for some reason - the storm I guess - and I can get to the site.

The Parris-Dunn training rifles are an interesting lot. I have one that belongs to a friend, who got it as a child after WWII. It has a US stock cartouche with an anchor symbol, and the buttplate is marked a little differently than yours:

DUMMY TRAINING RIFLE

MARK 1 - U.S.N.

PARRIS-DUNN CORP.

CLARINDA, IOWA

I have been meaning to clean it up with some very fine bronze wool. It was in a garage at one point, and got a bunch of paint overspray on one side of it.

David Albert

[email protected]

Dave, your buddies Parris Dunn is a training rifle used by the military, where my version (I believe), was a commercial version sold as a toy. Wanna trade? :naughty: :hapy0003:

Holy crap, I've got a Parris-Dunn! Nabbed it for like $9. It ain't pretty, missing the sling swivels and buttplate, but I've got some more respect for it. I thought it was just junk! My kids' Christmas was a brand new Henry .22 carbine. Wife and I are expecting, and I told the boys that when the baby is old enough (in a few years), I'll pass their Henry onto him/her, and get them each a big boy gun (they'd be old enough by then for something full-sized). Providing they aren't outlawed by then, my kiddos might wake up to a pair of M4 carbine-type ARs in a few years. They were stoked when they heard me say that!

While we're on toy guns, here are some of mine. :thumbsup:

They're a little bit on the younger side, compared to what I've seen so far, (mostly 10ish years old) but they're my favorites.

cimg3457.jpg

Better view of the metal revolvers with vinyl(?) belt and holsters.

cimg3458f.jpg

They weren't really being used anymore, until my little cousin was born. However, now that he's got his own broken Daisy BB gun ("broken" as in my grandpa pulled everything out so the lever moves, but doesn't shoot! :lol: ) they don't get used much anymore (again!), we'll just have to see if another little cousin comes along.

Manchu Warrior

This is a photo of Topper gun that I had a few years ago. I am more interested in the realistic looking military guns and this set really did nothing for me so I sold it. By the way that is a cool M1 Carbine that PvtTamura put up and Sabrejet that M14 is beyond cool.

post-1412-1293490855.jpgpost-1412-1293490863.jpg

This is a photo of Topper gun that I had a few years ago. I am more interested in the realistic looking military guns and this set really did nothing for me so I sold it. By the way that is a cool M1 Carbine that PvtTamura put up and Sabrejet that M14 is beyond cool.

;)

post-9491-1293491243.jpg

Dave, your buddies Parris Dunn is a training rifle used by the military, where my version (I believe), was a commercial version sold as a toy. Wanna trade? :naughty: :hapy0003:

mrhell,

Good try, but we'll have to pass on that offer. These training rifles are pretty cool, and there are a few different versions out there.

David

The Tommy Gun is 25" long and the M16 is 26" long. And to give you a good visual I took a photo of them with a Mattel Winchester like the one you posted earlier.

post-1412-1293463931.jpg

IIRC the Thompsons rear sight leaf flipped up like the M1928 sight

I'll have to get some pics of the Red Ryder and Little Beaver set tonight when I get home. But, here is the limited edition commemorative one from the 25th anniversary of "A Christmas Story". There were only 1500 made of the set and the Christmas Story edition.

376638757.jpg

And, of course, the signature of The Christmas Story model - the compass in the stock and that thing which tells time.

376638746.jpg