Toy guns...time for some nostalgia?

Sabrejet

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 8:07 PM, phantomfixer said:

Early 60s Johnny Reb cannon from Remco

has one as a kid, shot plastic balls and came with a rebel flag

91E323D2-4E15-4E50-9F68-993B5DF45252.jpeg

My Dad has one of those and I grew up playing with it. It unfortunately no longer fires but it had all the balls and the ramrod. Made a great make believe prop. Thanks for sharing. 

Friar

On 1/29/2022 at 2:28 AM, copdoc said:

Nice.  Still in the box.  This is an old pic. I'll see if I can find the toy and see who made it. Note H instead of N.

THE H STANDS FOR HALCO.

Marv

On 1/29/2022 at 2:28 AM, copdoc said:

20181014_155746.jpg

Your Dad did a great job, any kid over 55 would love to have had these to play Army. Now they just play on there phones...we would go out in the woods and spend all day digging fox holes, attacking the opposing forces. those days were good memories. Strap on a helmet, belt. and grab your gun. My dad took the bolts out of our .22 rifles and we used them as our guns. Bang Bang your dead. He gave me a M1 10" bayonet that I used. I still have that old bayonet. Its hacked on a lot of foliage to cover our positions. I also wore a M1917 helmet.   Kids today have no clue the fun we had. Mud balls for grenades. Nor would they find it fun to get dirty. Airsoft didn't come out until 40 years later. Then paint ball which is painful.  

Those were the days....smiling LMAO

I cant say we never used BB guns...You'll put your eye out.  Lucky we never did, I did catch one once about an inch below...

On 1/29/2022 at 12:42 AM, Misfit 45 said:

Here's my little Derringer.  It has a .380 shell as a substitute.

Marv

Marv-  The Dyna-Mite was made by Nichols, hence the "N" on the grips and holster. The giveaway is Circle N Ranch-Jacksonville Tx.--home of Nichols Industries .. That's a very nice condition outfit, esp. like the clever .380 shell addition! Here's a good website about them and others: https://www.nicholscapguns.com/history.htm

• 6 months later...

Just picked this little beauty while vacationing in Cold Spring, NY -- Mattel M-3 Submachinegun cap gun. Crank and trigger mechanism still work.  Unfortunately I can't find any caps to test it.

Dennis

Mattel M-3 Right Side.jpg

Mattel M-3 Cap Markings.jpg

• 1 month later...

Estate sale find last week is this toy M1903 rifle. I think it was made by Marx and had a bayonet and toy bullets it would chamber. Unfotunately the bayonet and bullets were not found in the estate.  The rifle measures 31 inches long and still had the plastic sling.  It still funtions.

Dennis

Marx Rifle 1.jpg

Marx Rifle 4.jpg

Marx Rifle 7.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/1/2023 at 7:24 PM, 72psb said:

Sound political to me. What does any of this have to do with militaria?

On 3/1/2023 at 7:24 PM, 72psb said:

Sound political to me. What does any of this have to do with militaria?

Playing army with toy weapons as a kid for most of us was a precursor to collecting Militaria....next question.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Playing army with toy weapons as a kid for most of us was a precursor to collecting Militaria....next question.

I 2nd this

• 2 months later...

I picked up this old Parris Trainer at a flea market a while back. I t had been a VFW ceremonial rifle and was in pretty bad shap. I Took it down and did a complete renovation on it and made a sling from an old webbing strap. I didn't have the same reddish wood stain, but just used what was in the paint locker. I had one of these way back inthe early 1960's and I was the bomb of our neighborhood war games. Second photo is of a 1950's Mattel Tommy-Burp  which I got from a neighbor recently. Well used as it should have been by some boy, but not bad for 60 some years old.

RifleViews.jpg

DSCN2961.JPG

Gear Fanatic

I am still a very new and young collector who used to do this stuff. I’ve grown up on the same street with the same kids and we have known each other practically our whole lives and are favorite thing to do was to play military lol. So we would play on a hill in our neighborhood and dig foxholes and make mud ball “grenades” with a little twig in them as a “pin,” and as we got older these games got more and more upscale, we started buying CO2 airsoft guns and making our own cap guns out of wood and PVC and this definitely influenced me collecting as this is when I bought a finish M40 off of IMA and used that since it was like 50 bucks or something and my friend would bring over his bayonets and we have pretend “ hand to hand combat fights” in my front yard, we would fill sand bags and use my friends dad’s old desert storm and Iraq BDUs and desert camouflage with his old Kevlar and gear.

Good times!

-Gear Fanatic 

1 hour ago, Gear Fanatic said:

I am still a very new and young collector who used to do this stuff. I’ve grown up on the same street with the same kids and we have known each other practically our whole lives and are favorite thing to do was to play military lol. So we would play on a hill in our neighborhood and dig foxholes and make mud ball “grenades” with a little twig in them as a “pin,” and as we got older these games got more and more upscale, we started buying CO2 airsoft guns and making our own cap guns out of wood and PVC and this definitely influenced me collecting as this is when I bought a finish M40 off of IMA and used that since it was like 50 bucks or something and my friend would bring over his bayonets and we have pretend “ hand to hand combat fights” in my front yard, we would fill sand bags and use my friends dad’s old desert storm and Iraq BDUs and desert camouflage with his old Kevlar and gear.

Good times!

-Gear Fanatic 

We old guys were very fortunate in a way. There was so much stuff left over from WW2 that even when so much was still being used, there were Surplus Stores where you could get helemts and liners for a couple of dollars; boxes of bayonets, mountains of canteens , web gear, and uniform parts. But... as 4th graders we didn't have hardly a dime to spend. My dad was in the Army so he bought me some web gear and a helmet liner. Still have that belt and canteen to this day. The battles that we would wage ! 

Gear Fanatic

I bought my helmet with birthday money from the year before. I remember the smile on my face when I got the helmet in the mail, it was like Christmas!

Gear Fanatic

Also, I just gotta say, guns back then were way cooler than what we have now, and they weren't in the bright colored plastic that’s blue and Orange!? They actually shot caps and looked like the real thing (for the most part) I would kill to have a 32 inch Springfield when I was playing outside with my friends, or a m3 Greece gun, those are soo cool! 

-Gear Fanatic 

I still have my Crosman M-1 Carbine that I had as a kid.  The kill marks are from mice I took out around the house.   I once shot my brother in the leg with it and I had the living bejesus knocked out of me by my dad.  I survived and so did the gun....  :)

-Ski

DSCF5125.JPG

• 4 weeks later...