194th FA Battalion, Anzio Italy 1944

Rhodesia

Hello I'm trying to find out what division the 194th FA battalion was assigned to during world war two. I know they were at Anzio in 1944. I'm unable to find any reference to what Division they were assigned to or were a part of. Some say the 34th Division, and some say the 1st Armored Division, Looking for what division they were assigned too. Thank you for any help.

The 1st Battalion 194th Field Artillery was originally formed on 26 February 1943 from two other units - the 2nd Battalion 125th Field Artillery Regiment and the 1st Battalion 185th Field Artillery Regiment. Both of these units were part of the 34th Infantry Division, which was half from Minnesota and half from Iowa. This newly formed artillery battalion was equipped with 155 mm howitzers with a General Support (GS) mission to the 34th Infantry Division. Upon mobilization for World War II, the battalion turned in the 155's and received the 8 inch howitzers to better meet the needs of the division. The original motto of the 1st Battalion 194th Field Artillery was "Faithful, Formidable, and Fiery!". This motto was a composite taken from both the 2-125 FA ("Faithful") and the 1-185 FA (Formidable and Fiery). The original unit crest was also different from what it is today. It too was a composite of these two organizations, reflecting symbols of the Minnesota and Iowa National Guard.

You might be interested in this......

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-History-194th-Fie...O-/330511565658

Thank you for the information on ebay. I found information that the 194th was also assigned to the 68th Armored (Tracked Towed) 155's, 1st Armored Division. So What I have is a purple Heart medal with oak leaf cluster the soldiers name engraved on the back who was killed at Anzio on May of 1944, he was with the 194th FA. Does not list what division he was assigned too. He is buried at the military cemetery in Italy.