Flight Engineer wings variation? Reproduction

flightmac

Yeah, I was pretty lucky that this donation of items included a bunch of original photos and his military documents....plus his plane was the subject of a Korean War Stars and Stripes article that mentions him by name...their B-29 had an engine crap out on the way to North Korea and they made an emergency landing...there were also original pictures of that incident in the grouping too....

Mark sends

Terrific photo! It really documents those one-piece Flight Engineer wings.

So there were one piece FE wings! Probably really rare and outa my reach right now. :crying:

Here's a pic of just the wings...they are pin backed and sterling silver, which I obviously haven't cleaned.....

Mark sends

They seem very flat on the material like clutchback.

armillary_journey
Was this a pattern actually worn on uniforms? I have a pot metal version like this (along with several other sterling patterns) and see them on eBay. I'm just curious if this design was purely for souvenirs or is it a legitimate variation to look out for? Thanks.

Wings-FlightEng.JPG

Pepé

(retired WC-130 F.E.)

Could you show the photo of the back without the clutches for us learners out here? Thanks!

Could you show the photo of the back without the clutches for us learners out here? Thanks!

Sure thing. It'll be a couple of days because I'm out of town. If I recall there are no marks.

O.K., I tried to post up the image, but the best I can do right now is a link, links actually.

Here is the front and back of the F.E. wings with the small center (and made of potmetal) that I own.

A little explanation; when I first posted the image, I knew a website that had the same design/pattern - http://www.b24bestweb.com/images/Wings/Wings-FlightEng.JPG. I used it without giving credit, but didn't intend to be deceptive.

I have a set of wings identical to mvmhms’ which came off of a uniform similar to his. I didn’t get the uniform. At one time they had an unusual frosted finish. The back is dark gray and they are clutch-back and marked sterling in raised letters.

post-20555-1294614136.jpg

These appear to be the same wings as shown on page 125 of More Silver Wings, Pinks, and Greens. Interesting pattern, nice wings.

Mike