Audie Murphy's Jacket (sorta)

Check out this ebay item

No. 250161353258

It is marked as reproduction so its not a fake! I say that in jest as this is what a lot of people say when they add ribbons etc. But what happens when the next guy sells it??

At least he had enough sense to not include the Medal of Honor or ribbon!

The vendor seems to be enthralled with movie personalities, which may be the better explanation of why he put this together. Audie Murphy of course was the post war star of his own bio-pic. Repro movie uniforms have been on the market before. A year or so ago you could buy a REPRODUCTION of both John Wayne's Jungle Fatigues from The Green Berets and Marlon's Brando's from Apocalypse Now! (Although Brando never actually appeared in the uniform... it was just in a doctored photo in his dossier!) And the thing that got me about these listings is that they wer acknowledged COPIES of movie uniforms! Great for Halloween...

JJ_John_Wayne.jpg

Marlon_Brando_Apoc_Now.jpg

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The lister cancelled all bids and closed the auction...he might re-list the repro uniform without the MOH ribbon. The same person also has an active listing for a repro uniform of another MOH winner (MSG Benavidez), however this one is offered sans MOH ribbon.

The lister cancelled all bids and closed the auction...he might re-list the repro uniform without the MOH ribbon. The same person also has an active listing for a repro uniform of another MOH winner (MSG Benavidez), however this one is offered sans MOH ribbon.

I wonder if the ebay police got him for having a MOH ribbon.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no fan of made-up uniforms, but I have seen some impressive displays built around "Tribute Uniforms" -- someone will take an old Marine jacket, for example, and build a stack like Chesty Puller, add a few posters and some books, and it looks pretty nice in a collection. And, when the hell is your average collector, or even an advanced one, going to be able to get their hands on Chesty Puller's uniform? It's a double-edged sword when scumbag dealers, or hapless dolts who can't tell the difference try and peddle these as the real deal, but I am in favor of and actually own 2 "Tribute Uniforms." Even if I wanted to, I'd never be able to pass them off as real! They're fine right where they are, until that glorious day when the commandant of the Marine Corps comes to me and says "Hey, you know what? You're the best Marine on the planet. Here, take Chesty's uniform and hang it up in your house."

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Man I would have gotten the John Wayne uniform from the Green Berets not because I'm a tool but because I think it would be a cool uniform to have seeing as his characters name in the movie was Col. Mike Kirby and my name is Mike Kirby lol.

Mike Kirby