Pioneer Chevron?

36-tex

I don't recall that there were any Pioneer units before WW1. This is awfully crude too. Somehow I wonder if this is even military -- International Order of Woodsmen or something else, perhaps.

G

According to S.B. Holabird, Quartermaster General, U.S.A., his list of specifications adopted on 6-10-1889 shows only the black band with white crossed axes for the Pioneer Corps. There is no description for a Pioneer Sergeant.

Tom

• 1 year later...

I believe this chevron is for the Army Transport Service. I have a similar one in my collection and missed one recently on eBay.

The type of construction and material leads me to believe these are WWI era.

post-60620-1331942319.jpg

post-60620-1331942332.jpg

Three chevrons and a tie (not a rocker), would be for a Company Quartermaster Sergeant. No such thing as a "Staff Sergeant", prior to 1920. That being said, I don't think this was a regular U.S. Army chevron. Prior to WW One, all Army chevrons were made by the Quartermaster Department and their standards were such that this sloppy example wouldn't have passed muster. It looks homemade to me, possibly for a militia unit. The color combinations do not jive with any used by the regular Army. :think:

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Don't know what this is, but it isn't WW1. Other than a Master Pioneer, they wore regular chevrons, sometimes with the P superimposed over the branch qualification, sometimes just regular infantry brass. The officers sometimes wore crossed axes, sometimes not. But these are not Pioneer chevrons.

John