WWII US 48 star flag?

S1991

Hey guys,

I was wondering if this flag is the real deal or not.. I bought it on this forum with good confidence it is a original.

But I just want to make sure it is !

So give me your guys thoughts please !

What would be a fair price for this flag if original?

img00422201012232059.jpg

img00423201012232059.jpg

img00424201012232100.jpg

If you guys need more photo's let me know and I will make them !

Many thanks in advance.

If this topic is not in the right place please remove it to the right section !

Thanks.

Silvano

Flag looks fine. I have owned flags just like this one in the past. Keep in mind there were 48 states from 1912 to I believe 1959. So 48 star flags are not the hardest to find. However, your flag has "staggered" rows and most you see have straight rows top to bottom and side to side. A nice flag that appears 100% original.

Hey!...i think that used to be my flag!!....i did some research awhile ago and its an early flag with the staggered stars, probably 1912-18 era??, i think in a certain year a law was passed to make the stars uniform so then they stopped staggering them, not sure what year it was... :think: ..thats a nice flag, i miss it!!.....mike :thumbsup:

i did some research awhile ago and its an early flag with the staggered stars, probably 1912-18 era??

I'd never heard that before - thanks for the lead. A site at http://www.shorpy.com/node/6013 says "Prior to 1916, there were no official specifications for US flags. Indeed these two variants show up right from the beginning of the 48 star flag in 1912. After 1916, pretty much everyone switched to the even rows with the stars one over the other like the second one you mention. 48 star flags with staggered rows are somewhat rare and are early (1912-1916 or thereabouts)."

I'd never heard that before - thanks for the lead. A site at http://www.shorpy.com/node/6013 says "Prior to 1916, there were no official specifications for US flags. Indeed these two variants show up right from the beginning of the 48 star flag in 1912. After 1916, pretty much everyone switched to the even rows with the stars one over the other like the second one you mention. 48 star flags with staggered rows are somewhat rare and are early (1912-1916 or thereabouts)."

Thanks. So this one would be a WWI period flag and not WWII? :think:

This flag with it's staggered rows would be a rare variant?

And Mike, yeah it was yours mate ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information guys. :thumbsup: I've owned a big staggered row 48 star flag for about 20 years now and have wondered "what's the deal?". Now I know. The more you read this forum, the more you learn.

Collector5516
Does anyone have a clue? :think:

I have a few of these early, staggered 48 star flags. Value depends on the size of the flag. How big is it?

I've had a few of these over the years and whilst they are somewhat less common than the usual 48 pattern star flags, I wouldn't call them rare.

As has been mentioned the staggered pattern was around for only very few years at the start of the 48 star flags reign so you can confidently date this flag between 1912 and 1920.

As far as value goes. A flag with sewn on stars would be more desirable that one that has been printed. The condition, does it have any moth damage or other holes and/or stains? Is there any dry rot, is it fragile to hold?

I would say that a staggered pattern 48 star flag made from individual sewn panels in good solid condition with only minimal age related discolouration/staining and of a good displayable size, maybe 3x5 or 4x6 feet would sell for $150-$200, a bit less for a printed one.

Just my 2p.

Rob

The flag is 33.9 inch x 24.4 inch..

It has some holes either moth or something else. Not rotten or fragile. It is verry supple.

Thanks for the replies !

Collector5516

I agree with what Rob said above. These flags are not seen all the time but certainly not rare. They do sell for a premium compared to the block pattern 48 star flags because there are millions of those out there.

Yours is printed but is a nice, displayable size so I would say it's worth around $75.00, maybe a bit more.

I agree with what Rob said above. These flags are not seen all the time but certainly not rare. They do sell for a premium compared to the block pattern 48 star flags because there are millions of those out there.

Yours is printed but is a nice, displayable size so I would say it's worth around $75.00, maybe a bit more.

Okay thanks !