WW2 Aircraft Manufacturer Patches

Tinman

This is a group of patches from aircraft manufacturers located in Wichita KS during WW2. Beech, Cessna and Boeing still exist. To the best of my knowledge, none of these patches were used after the war. These companies brought in tens of thousands of workers from across the US to meet production needs. This Beech patch (5”) featuring the ‘Beech Busy Bee’ was created by Walt Disney especially for Beech. The same design came in a small enamel pin in two sizes. The patch was presented with an award document also featuring the same design. The winged B (4 ½” across) is a merit award, one of which the bee has on his chest, though the wing is on the opposite side (artistic license). Beech primarily built trainers though I have been told that some of the trainers were converted into bombers for the Chinese.

post-20555-1293124989.jpg

post-20555-1293125060.jpg

The Cessna patch (5 ½” across) was actually designed about 1935 but was worn by employees throughout the war. Cessna also built trainers and the Waco glider. Swallow (the patch is 10 1/2" wide) started out building biplanes in the twenties but by WW2 they were operating a school training mechanics for the other local aircraft companies.

post-20555-1293125597.jpg

post-20555-1293125752.jpg

The Boeing ‘Mosquito’ patch (7’ tall) was sewn to the back of coveralls. The oval patch (3 ¾”) was sewn on the shoulder of the coveralls. The Wichita Division built the B-29. Also pictured is a wartime Boeing document showing the various badges worn throughout the company. It explained who wore them and what they allowed the wearer to do and where they could go within the company.

post-20555-1293126375.jpg

post-20555-1293126461.jpg

Explanation of the badges.

post-20555-1293126828.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The Boeing ‘Mosquito’ patch (7’ tall) was sewn to the back of coveralls. The oval patch (3 ¾”) was sewn on the shoulder of the coveralls. The Wichita Division built the B-29. Also pictured is a wartime Boeing document showing the various badges worn throughout the company. It explained who wore them and what they allowed the wearer to do and where they could go within the company.

Here they are! I seen this Boeing patch early and I really really like it. Any Boeing item with the original "Totem" is classic Boeing. The Boeing I started to work for in 1985. I have a small reproduction "Totem" on my shop coat over the the right breast pocket. Our older service pins have the N.W. look Totem on them.

The large one from Wichita like you have here is quite rare. I live in the Seattle area and have not even run across one of the Seattle Boeing coverall totem patches...yet.

KEF

Some more Beechcraft patches from another Wichita Area Collector

post-14361-1294116406.jpg

post-14361-1294116426.jpg

More local Wichita stuff

post-14361-1294116658.jpg

post-14361-1294116689.jpg

Even more wichita stuff. These two are coverall back patches, used before Boeing absorbed Stearman.

post-14361-1294116832.jpg

post-14361-1294116857.jpg

An unusal WW2 American Aircraft Industry patch from a company not usually associated with aircraft.

post-14361-1294116958.jpg

Timken, part II

post-14361-1294117054.jpg

Early Vultee patches, before the merger with Consolodated

post-14361-1294117144.jpg

post-14361-1294117159.jpg

An interesting large coverall back aptch from Martin

post-14361-1294117339.jpg

Thank you Tinman for your efforts in starting this terrific thread on aircraft manufacturer patches. Your patches, as well as Cookieman's contributions, have really renewed my interest in this collecting field. I recently picked up a large Cessna patch from a close friend. It is nearly a foot across from wing-tip to wing-tip. Like the example you posted, I assume it would have been worn on the back of a jacket or coveralls.

IMG_1910_crop.jpg

Boeing patches.

IMG_1912_crop.jpg

Tinman, here's a couple of lapel pins similar to your beautiful large Boeing patch. The Wichita Division pin on the left is marked "Sterling". The one on the right is unmarked and appears to be gilt wash over brass. The smaller Boeing pin, in the center, is hallmarked "Josten 1/20th 10K".

IMG_1913_crop.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
I recently picked up a large Cessna patch from a close friend. It is nearly a foot across from wing-tip to wing-tip.

That is impressive!

The 12” Cessna patch is, as teufelhunde.ret commented "impressive" and just screams Aviation History. All of the patches shown on this thread are just wonderful. This is one of those collecting areas that evades many W.W.II collectors. Thanks for starting this thread Tinman. Gregg

As a bit of a fanatic I think Rustywings’ 12” Cessna patch is incredible. As a follow-up, I would like to post some photos of Beech Busy Bee items. Beech promoted the Disney design quite a bit. They had four different enamel pins made: two 1 3/8” pin-backs in gold and silver and two 7/8” post & nut in gold and silver. The winged B’s are 13/16”, one gold with blue enamel and the other sterling with red enamel. The Award of Merit certificate is 11 ½” x 8 ¾”. They also made a 4” window decal. The 2” dia. Employees Club badge doesn’t look official but it’s kinda cool.

post-20555-1294249638.jpg

post-20555-1294249671.jpg

Award of Merit

post-20555-1294249837.jpg

Decal and Badge

post-20555-1294249919.jpg

post-20555-1294250047.jpg

Wow Tinman, you've posted a terrific collection of Beechcraft patches and pins! Regarding the cloth "Merit Awards", was there any significance in the single wing being on the left-side or right-side of the Beechcraft logo?

Wow Tinman, you've posted a terrific collection of Beechcraft patches and pins! Regarding the cloth "Merit Awards", was there any significance in the single wing being on the left-side or right-side of the Beechcraft logo?

The only source of information I have on hand is an official book ‘Beechcraft’, a history of the company published in 1971.

It mentions nothing about the merit program or the Busy Bee. A good resource I can search is the libraries local newspaper archives from the war years which I intend to do but will take some time.

Thank you Tinman. I've had a bit of luck over the years collecting a few of the larger coverall-style manufacturer patches. Here's a large Bell Aircraft "Service Instructor" patch:

IMG_1919_crop.jpg

A large Curtis-Wright "Instructor" patch.

IMG_1920_crop.jpg

Curtis-Wright wing patch.

IMG_1923_crop.jpg

A "Wright Aircraft Engines" shoulder size patch, along with a matching tie-bar and field rep pin.

IMG_1931_crop.jpg

Close-up of the Wright Aircraft Engines "Field Representative" pin. On the lower rim of this inch wide pin, are the small words "Patterson - N.J. - USA".

IMG_1929_crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Since there hasn’t been the activity that I had anticipated in this thread, I thought that I should go ahead and add a couple of manufactures patches that I have had in my patch collection for a number of years before I move them along. I had thought that there would have been more activity regarding this subject by other Forum members. Gregg

This patch measures 8" across and 6" at its highest point.

post-6237-1295455591.jpg

These are all shoulder size: NAA is North American Aviation, the Douglas patch has always held a special spot in my heart - I grew up in Long Beach, CA. and the Pesco patch is pretty obscure. Pesco was a sub contractor in Ohio that provided pumps for most of the aircraft built before and during W.W. II.

post-6237-1295456335.jpg

post-6237-1295457279.jpgpost-6237-1295457256.jpg

post-6237-1295457385.jpgpost-6237-1295457368.jpg

attachment=354206:resize_n...viation1.jpg]

post-6237-1295457351.jpg

Gregg, many thanks to you and everyone for posting the great patches! I was quite content with my modest collection of local patches and pins but…now…a recent find. Another variation of a Wright pin. 7/8” across.

post-20555-1295460550.jpg

Nice factory pin Tinman. I only have a couple of service pin awards, they are nice. As I recall the wizard left OZ for other adventures it might be the Tinman's turn to branch-out side of OZ. Here are a couple more patches. You have a GREAT collection of Homefront items, I have really enjoyed them. The same goes for KEF up in the N.W., he has brought a lot to this table. Thanks for sharing with us. Gregg

post-6237-1295476382.jpgpost-6237-1295476396.jpgpost-6237-1295476429.jpg

• 1 month later...
Lightning Ace

Here is I believe, an Aircraft Manufactures Patch I picked up years ago and haven't found any history on it yet and I'm hopeing one of you might know something about it and if it even is an Aircraft Manufacturers Patch.

post-9389-1298534713.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Lightning Ace

Tinman

I pictured a patch this morning here that I believe is an Aircraft Manufactures patch and I was wondering if you have ever seen it before or believe that it could be or is an Aircraft Manufacturers patch.

Mike

c

This is a group of patches from aircraft manufacturers located in Wichita KS during WW2. Beech, Cessna and Boeing still exist. To the best of my knowledge, none of these patches were used after the war. These companies brought in tens of thousands of workers from across the US to meet production needs. This Beech patch (5”) featuring the ‘Beech Busy Bee’ was created by Walt Disney especially for Beech. The same design came in a small enamel pin in two sizes. The patch was presented with an award document also featuring the same design. The winged B (4 ½” across) is a merit award, one of which the bee has on his chest, though the wing is on the opposite side (artistic license). Beech primarily built trainers though I have been told that some of the trainers were converted into bombers for the Chinese.

Boeing patches.

I have never seen such great Boeing historical patches they are very unique.

You must have excellent bloodhound skills, hunting & tracking down hard to find objects.

Where did you find such interesting patches like these old Boeing pieces?

Are they unique to Wichita Div?

Perhaps the only other place that might have examples like these are in the Boeing Archives.

I have worked at Boeing (Everett, Wa) for over 25 years and have been collecting Boeing B-17 items

and never have run across such unusual Boeing patches.

I believe I have seen the black & gold patch on a few female employee's coveralls

in my collection of old Boeing News (company newspaper).

Lightning Ace

Thanks Tinman.

Hi Mike. Your patch definitely looks WW2. I’m going to contact someone who may know more. Tinman

Here is I believe, an Aircraft Manufactures Patch I picked up years ago and haven't found any history on it yet and I'm hopeing one of you might know something about it and if it even is an Aircraft Manufacturers Patch.

Aircraft_Manufactures_Patch_002.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I believe your patch represents a Contract Flight School owned by William J. Graham. According to the book "Two Hundred Thousand Flyers" by Willard Wiener, Graham contracted with the U.S. Army to establish a primary flight school at Souther Field, near Americus, Georgia, in 1940. In March 1941, the school opened with fifty Flying Cadets receiving lessons from Civilian Flight Instructors under U.S. Army supervision. I believe your patch was worn on the uniform sleeve of civilian flight instructors at the school. A very nice patch...and highly collectible!

Russ

I have never seen such great Boeing historical patches they are very unique.

You must have excellent bloodhound skills, hunting & tracking down hard to find objects.

Where did you find such interesting patches like these old Boeing pieces?

Are they unique to Wichita Div?

Perhaps the only other place that might have examples like these are in the Boeing Archives.

I have worked at Boeing (Everett, Wa) for over 25 years and have been collecting Boeing B-17 items

and never have run across such unusual Boeing patches.

I believe I have seen the black & gold patch on a few female employee's coveralls

in my collection of old Boeing News (company newspaper).

KEF, thank you for your kind comments. Actually, my good friend Gregg Parlin is, in part, responsible for my obsessive-compulsive patch addiction! As you can see by some of the terrific aircraft manufacturer patches Gregg has posted above, he is very knowledgeable in this field of collecting. Twenty years ago Gregg lured me in like a dope-dealer on a street corner! I remember his words well, "Here kid, the first patch is free." And bam, I was hooked!

Actually KEF, most of my patches were found around the Los Angeles area.

Russ

Some of the thread is missing from this Boeing patch...but it's still one of my favorites.

IMG_1032_crop.jpg