WWII BRAZILIAN AIR FORCE

BEAST

• 3 months later...

Hi Friends,

I have a collection of Brazilian Air Force in WW2.

Only one information: The patch is not the same ...as during WW2 iside the symbol did not had the "Flack" design.

The Flack is used only after the WW2 inside the SENTA A PUA patch.

B-25J

Early patches didn't have the flak burst. It was included after November 1944. There are WWII pics of the patch in wear where the flak burst appears.

Hi Senior,

Yes the Flack is only for after war,as the significate is the participation of FAB ,First BFG in war. Whem the aircrafts P-47 arrived in Brasil the patch was not with the flack. I had some meeting with Fortunato Camara de Oliveira, designer of the Senta A Pua patch and the informations about are only after the war, but we can find some paintures in P-47 in Brasil (actual) in museus with the flack explosion inside the symbol but is not correct as informations from Fortunato. As words of Fortunato " the flack is an way, after the war for to eternize the participation of Brasil,in Italy, in WW2" If have any photo different is about any P-47 in Santa Cruz AFB after the war when they received new paintures during the years. In book Herois dos Ceus you can see good photos of P-47 in war.

I have a file with these photos.

If you want any informations about FAB I can send to you.

One more information: During 1998,we had an meeting with some veterans in Sao Paulo and Alberto Martins Torres (pilot) was talking about his A-2 jacket and about the patch painted,when in his own had an small modification in symbol and by his hands Torres made an Flack ....in Senta a Pua symbol.Without officialization....

The brazilian Figther history has some mystery. But for us historias of air force is interesting search all about.

The same model 1/18 of my collection. The D5 was piloted by Tenente MEIRA,the aircraft was an P-47D-28-RE serial USAAF 44-19662. Post war numbered FAB P-47D 4119 and Canibalized in 1958 (march,19).

Note the camera in left wing.

Paulo

post-2118-1197595299.jpg

Ola Ricardo,

Obrigado pelo incentivo,se precisar de algo também estou à disposição aqui por São Paulo.

Escrevo para algumas revistas e talvez Voce já deve ter visto algum artigo meu sobre aviação brasileira ou sobre radiocomunicação militar.Tenho uma coleção de equipamentos desde WW2 até os anos 8o,sobre o que nosso exercito usou bem como equipamentos que foram utilizados pela FAB. Como radioamador mantenho tudo em funcionamento....e ainda faço telegrafia com uma estação completa que era de B-17 da FAB.

Aqui vão umas fotos.

Forte abraço.

Paulo

post-2118-1197647141.jpg

An very beautifull station used in B-17 by Brazilian Air Force and now in my collection for radioamateur use...working for CW communication....

Paulo

Hello Paulo,

Very nice pieces of signals equipment, thanks for posting.

As for the Senta a Pua patch, Fortunato said the flak was added to the insignia in November 1944. It is not likely that all P47's received the flak burst while in Italy, but its presence in some of the WWII insigne of the unit cannot be denied.

http://paginas.terra.com.br/lazer/plastimo...apuac1/sent.htm

The flak burst in one of these patchs is not enough evidence to dismiss it as a post war version.

Please note messages in this forum should always be posted in English.

Regards.

Cesar.

Hi Cesar,

Good informations from you

About the Flak in symbol, the great evidence was the painted symbol in A-2 jacket of Alberto M.Torres. Was the the first presence of the" explosion flack" in any Senta a Pua symbol. But was not painted on the aircrafts as the official patch was the used in aircrafts . The others was " by hands of any Group member...".

AS the Senta a Pua patch,in the first times are painted over leather circle and "seamed" over jackets,during drawings of each patch some times the design was some differentiation, as Mr Fortunato talked to me.The first freehand sketching was made by Alitio Bocchetti under the first idea by Fortunato and the proper Atilio made some differents Senta a Pua drawings during the war....all with Fortunato´s permission but the official design was during the war the original without Flack explosion.

Other curiosity was the painture of the P-47 received from USA in 1945...they had drawings "most elaborates" as some was painted in USA and not in war theater....but only in 1946/1947 was officialized the new patch...

In book Herois dos Céus,great for historians,you can see an photo (page 166 I believe) of Alberto Torres (was my friend) using one A-2 jacket with the Senta a Pua patch (great size....) with the flack. When I asked to Torres in 1998 about, I received one answer...:Was end of 1944 but was not used by the group...was painted by my hands".

Torres was an innovator in group. When they arrived in Italy he painted the name "drosoba baiana" in his aircraft but was sooner removed by order of the Commandant....

I had great meeting with Fortunato ,Torres,Rui Moreira Lima and others during Veterans Lunch or mettings of Turma da Sucata (Surpluss Team) of the Força Aerea Veterans.

Was history....and they was the history.....thy wrote the history.

Good Luck Cesar.

Paulo

Flight suit,mask,goggles,helmet and mae west...Was a gift to me by an Senta a Pua member in 1998.

Small part of history of WW2. The taylor´s dummy don´t know "how to fly".....

Paulo

post-2118-1197818299.jpg

Thank you Ricardo and Cesar,but my helmet collection is not great,.I have helmets used by FAB from early days.

Here some helmets...When the gloster Meteor arrived in Brasil,the helmets used by FAB was english type with H mask,and B-8 goggles. The other helmet is as used by P-40 and T-6 pilos during years 40/50 with the "sobrefones" (headphones used over the helmet and the helmets without receivers capsules) with ANH-15 helmet and goggles B-8 type but made in Brasil.

Paulo

post-2118-1197893699.jpg