squadron patch help

TLeo

I could use a bit of help on this patch. I will say it does look correct to me but I like to hear from the experts here if this one looks okay for Korean War period. It is 4.5 x 4.5 inches and I'm told it is second issue, so does that mean the first was WW2? sorry, the pics aren't a bit larger. Thanks!

post-5081-1293028256.jpg

post-5081-1293028301.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

T. It is recognized as the 312 2nd pattern used late 40's early 50"s in Korea & El Toro while flying the F4U's. Looks alright, why they call it a second pattern is unknown to me? s/f D.

T. It is recognized as the 312 2nd pattern used late 40's early 50"s in Korea & El Toro while flying the F4U's. Looks alright, why they call it a second pattern is unknown to me? s/f D.

Thanks, I had not heard it called "2nd pattern" before so was wondering...

Tom

Hello, the patch is listed in Holmberg's book as being used at El Toro and Korea from 1948-1950 when the squadron was flying F4U-4s. It is the second "pattern" or "issue" which has a different design from the first. The first patch for VMF 312 "Day's Knights" was created in 1943 and used a design showing a bat-winged bulldog holding a six-barelled machine gun. I think the squadron adopted the "Checkerboards" nickname with the change of design illustrated by your patch. The squadron designation changed to VMA 312 in 1952. Hope this helps. Your patch is original to the 1948-1950 period I believe. Jeffro

I could use a bit of help on this patch. I will say it does look correct to me but I like to hear from the experts here if this one looks okay for Korean War period. It is 4.5 x 4.5 inches and I'm told it is second issue, so does that mean the first was WW2? sorry, the pics aren't a bit larger. Thanks!

post-5081-1293028256.jpg

post-5081-1293028301.jpg

My grandpa who flew with them from 1950 -1952. This pattern is exactly the same as the one he had. You don't see this everyday. There weren't many checkerboarders out there. If you don't have a lot of emotional ties to this squadron patch like I do, I would be interested in making a trade for it with something I have that you may have more interest in than I do. I have lots of different WWII items, I only collect for memories, not income. Contact me if you can help.