US Army pattern 1878 Blanket Bag (Late Mfg)

US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum

I was looking at a few items on Ebay a week ago when my

eye chanced upon this item. Although the seller had it

listed as a Haversack, I recognized it as a pattern 1878

blanket bag; a quick glance at the "US" stencil on the back

indicated to me that this was a post-1900 bag, as the pre-

1900 stencils utilized split letters, not solid.

I already have the same period bag with the leather straps

and was looking for an earlier manufactured blanket bag

pre-dating the Spanish American War.

It was the second photo that caught my attention - the

photo showing the replacement straps on the reverse,

which were made to the correct pattern using updated

hardware, but not from leather but from Olive Drab canvas

as used from 1907-1914.

It was the olive drab canvas and replacement hardware that

motivated me to buy this particular 1905 dated blanket bag.

I recall forum user Keystone's saying that he had a 1911

dated bag completely composed in olive drab.

Why these bags were still being made post-1900 after being

noted as obsolete I don't quite grasp. I can understand

Rock Island's making replacement straps (like mine) to replace

torn leather for those old serviceable bags still in use; there

were many still in service up through the start of the Great

War.

Aside from the "US" Army marking, this bag is identical to

those shown in the enclosed photos as being carried by Marines

at the port of embarkation prior to their landing at Veracruz,

Mexico in 1914.

post-1529-1292903325.jpg

post-1529-1292903345.jpg

• 1 year later...

A really interesting find. Not sure if its manufactured that way or if its an after factory alteration. Thanks for sharing. Any other pictures of the inside markings?

• 1 year later...

Victory,

Any chance that this bag used CARR snaps on the inside? i have such a bag with leather straps with those snaps on the "pouch" inside...

Rock Island blueprint that answers some questions. The 1878 pattern blanket bag was re designated "Blanket Bag Model of 1912 for U.S.Navy Department". When the Board of officers designed the M1910 Infantry equipment it was just for the infantry of the army in their minds. The Cavalry and other departments were designing their own gear. I remember reading one of the Annual reports from 1911 or 1912 discussing the Marine Corps equipment. The Army Ordnance department was ordered to send patterns of equipment to the new Marine Corps Quartermaster depot being built in Philadelphia. I believe they didn't consider the Marine Corps "infantry" so they sent the standard "non-infantry" gear. This might also explain why the Marine corps first aid pouch is a copy of the army's M1911 pouch. Any thoughts?

Tim

post-192-0-97363000-1395366072.jpg

Victory,

Any chance that this bag used CARR snaps on the inside? i have such a bag with leather straps with those snaps on the "pouch" inside...

I've never seen one with the Carr snaps. The one I had that was later dated had buttons like the older pattern.

Hello Tim, thanks for responding.

Interesting blueprint. I note the 1916 revision...seems so late to still be updated. However I do not see any addition of the Carr snaps (pat. 1913) mentioned.

The blueprint shows me the missing pieces. Wonder if the "coat strap" is canvas or leather?

My bag is marked DC NG with the crossed rifles inked on the flap. On the inside it is marked Watervliet Arsenal. So it goes that NG units received these as well.

When I received my bag, it came with a pair of worn out unmarked leather straps that appear original to the bag. I was also given a mint set of RIA 1907 marked leather straps that I ended up adding.

Anyway, I am trying to come up with the proper display for this bag. I would guess that the NG units that had these would also have the old 1903 cart. belts as well...

I need to look into the DC national guard next...

Marchville1918

I think that the medical corps used this bag along with the 1910 enlisted medical belt until the bag was later replaced with the cavalry designed ration bags.

Good day.

I have been waiting to respond more once I got proper photos taken of the bag I have.

Here are a few...

post-92682-0-67721100-1395673104.jpg

And the unit stencils...

Thanks for any information...

1918, I like the idea of these being used by the medical dep't...almost makes me wish this was unmarked...

post-92682-0-79403100-1395673217.jpg

Well your Watervliet made bag is very nice. I would look to see if the Carr Fastener pouch looks like it is a replacement. Watervliet stopped making infantry equipment in the late 1880s when all production of such items was moved to RIA and some smaller depots. Watervliet concentrated on Artillery after that date. The US is on your bag is very typical of 1870s to 1880s marking.

Well your Watervliet made bag is very nice. I would look to see if the Carr Fastener pouch looks like it is a replacement. Watervliet stopped making infantry equipment in the late 1880s when all production of such items was moved to RIA and some smaller depots. Watervliet concentrated on Artillery after that date. The US is on your bag is very typical of 1870s to 1880s marking.

Thanks...!

I was really intrigued by the though of the pouch being a later addition...so I Iooked last night, and all I can say is that this pouch looks like it was there from day one. Same exact color, aging and such.

I guess tho, that that may not mean all that much...it could be a later addition even with the exactness of material ??

Now this becoming a head scratcher...

I forget where I found this picture of the D.C. marked equipment.

Tim

Keystone,

Those DC marking looks nothing like mine...odd?

RustyCanteen

I'm not sure I would say odd. The photo posted by Keystone was probably taken a few years before your bag was marked. The absence of 'NG' seems to support that.

I'm not sure I would say odd. The photo posted by Keystone was probably taken a few years before your bag was marked. The absence of 'NG' seems to support that.

Rusty, yes I suppose so. There may certainly be quite a bit of time between the two...

• 7 months later...

To me, those snaps look like an upgrade for WWI; the original leather ties that went through small holes in that pouch likely broke or were lost quite often. The holes for the ties would have been a perfect place to affix snaps through.