Rescued from a firing range

Segedunum

Cobrahistorian

I always love seeing data plates from airplanes. It's like their "soul" (if you will) lives on, even though the airframe is gone. I've got one from a P-40C that I got from a fellow forum member that's displayed prominently in my museum room.

Jon

What a criminal waste of a great airplane! Sadly, so many classic warbirds fell victim to this kind of thing. I've actually seen footage from the '50s of WW2 Spitfires being shot-up on the ranges. Today, each one would potentially be worth several million £/$!! (And don't mention the Desert Boneyard in Arizona!!) :crying:

Sabrejet

That's incredible! You found pictures of the actual aircraft. Thank's for sharing them.

I seem to remember that there where at least 3 F-86 K's at that firing range. If only I had room for it, I would probably have rescued one of them. It's a sad end, for a wonderful aircraft.

All the best

Stig Erik

Cobrahistorian
What a criminal waste of a great airplane! Sadly, so many classic warbirds fell victim to this kind of thing. I've actually seen footage from the '50s of WW2 Spitfires being shot-up on the ranges. Today, each one would potentially be worth several million £/$!! (And don't mention the Desert Boneyard in Arizona!!) :crying:

Sabrejet

It would be wonderful if we could keep all of them in flying condition and preserved for future generations, but we'd rapidly run out of room. Many historic airplanes have ended up as targets over the years (three of the AH-56 prototypes, F-105F "Sinister Vampire" of the 44th TFS, just to name a couple off the top of my head). Calling it criminal is a bit much, don'tcha think? Sad end? Sure. A fitting tribute for a warrior to go out in a blaze of glory? I'd like to think so.

Now the burning of an original Mosquito in 1964 for the movie 633 Squadron? THAT is criminal!!!!

Jon

I always love seeing data plates from airplanes. It's like their "soul" (if you will) lives on, even though the airframe is gone. I've got one from a P-40C that I got from a fellow forum member that's displayed prominently in my museum room.

Jon

I love seeing them as well, because for the most part you know that craft is in pieces/gone. I would love to be able to afford to collect these things but alas, they can be buggers to find!