CLOTH MACHINE GUN BELTS

LtRGFRANK

post-551-1292704520.jpgpost-551-1292704533.jpg

These are two of the cloth belts I just picked up. Box filled with strapping and belts. The thinner one is a 250 round od belt. The other is about 1/3 wider and is 110 round. The thinner one is dated 1945 by RUSSELL and the wider is 1943 dated also by Russell. I just tried to put a 30-06 round in the thinner one and its too big. Won't fit. Anyone know whats its for as I thought only 30 cal took cloth belts. Robert

Just went out to the gun room and tried different Ammo. The only thing that fit is 22 Long Rifle. Was there a late war trainor in 22 cal??? Robert

Now as I looked at it I saw it was sewn funny so I tried coming in from the other side and it will take a 9MM. Sewn so it won't push through. I'm really stumped now. HELP!

post-551-1292708723.jpgpost-551-1292708738.jpg

Iposted this on field gear and thought I would here too. Bought a box today filled with straping and Machine gun cloth belts. There were several much narrower made by Russell 1945. The only thing the fits is 9 MM. The belt is sewn so the rounds won't push through. Any idea to what this was used in. A trainor? Something for another counties weapon beside US? Help Robert

post-551-1292708545.jpgpost-551-1292708559.jpg

Heres how 9MM fit. Tried 45s but their to big. R

The 110 round belt is for .50 BMG.

The 250 round belt is for 30.06. Unless the belts are well used, you wont be able to push them in by hand - you need a belt loading machine to load the belt up.

For what its worth, the OD 250 round belt is one of the less common patterns that I've seen out there. They do show up rarely in photos in theater. The earliest dated OD 250 round 30 cal belt i've seen was dated 43 - with white belts being made concurrently to the end in 45.

The 110 round belt is for .50 BMG.

The 250 round belt is for 30.06. Unless the belts are well used, you wont be able to push them in by hand - you need a belt loading machine to load the belt up.

OK I get it. Only the bullet fits. Not the whole case. DUH, But I didn't know the 50 took a belt. I thought only links. Something new everyday. Robert

So does anyone have a picture to show how far they are pushed in. R

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/6426...8a635ae3249.jpg

The case neck slightly protrudes from the front of the belt. The belts are woven - not sewn - to form the pockets. If you look at the pockets, you can see where the shoulder of the round stops.

Theres some interesting reading online - as the patents are available for viewing. Russell manufacturing had several patents just on how those belts were constructed / woven.

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/6426...8a635ae3249.jpg

The case neck slightly protrudes from the front of the belt. The belts are woven - not sewn - to form the pockets. If you look at the pockets, you can see where the shoulder of the round stops.

Theres some interesting reading online - as the patents are available for viewing. Russell manufacturing had several patents just on how those belts were constructed / woven.

Thanks much for the picture. I see what you mean about getting them in without the loading machine. Got a few in for display. Again THANKS. Robert

If you have enough dummy ammo to load up most of a belt - I'd be happy to run them through my loading machine for you, provided you cover postage both ways.

Chris-

They look like Browning 1919 belts to me. (I'm not even aware of any 9mm cloth MG belts, especially any WWII-dated US ones.) Not too long ago the CMP was selling belts of M2 ball on OD belts like yours.

If they're new (i.e, unused) you'll have a difficult time pushing a round through by hand...you'll need abelt loader. After using them a few times they'll loosen up to the point where they won't hold the cartridges at all. (When that happens run them through the washing machine with hot water. Several guys I know who still run cloth belts through thier 1919s will also soak them in ATF fluid to aid in loading.

Yes they have been ided as 30 cal belts, The bullets fit just fine. I was thinking the case went through but I was wrong. Thanks for the help and picture. R

• 10 years later...
armysoldierant1944
On 12/19/2010 at 4:44 AM, LtRGFRANK said:

post-551-1292704520.jpgpost-551-1292704533.jpg

These are two of the cloth belts I just picked up. Box filled with strapping and belts. The thinner one is a 250 round od belt. The other is about 1/3 wider and is 110 round. The thinner one is dated 1945 by RUSSELL and the wider is 1943 dated also by Russell. I just tried to put a 30-06 round in the thinner one and its too big. Won't fit. Anyone know whats its for as I thought only 30 cal took cloth belts. Robert

Referring to the left picture - isn't there something missing at the ends? I have seen some pictures of these 50 cal belts with sawtooth buckles at the ends. 

Browninggunner688

These .50 cal cloth belts linked together, the tab from one fits in the hole in the other and the round holds them both together.( That's how the one I have joins together).

The saw tooth buckle ones you are on about are surplus store mashups to make a useable belt from something that would end up as trash. Just sew a buckle on and hey presto you have a belt, lashing strap or whatever you need to use it for.

Nick.