Hell To Eternity

Lightning Ace

Lightning Ace

I wish they'd show this movie again which I haven't seen on TV in years. Jeffery Hunter stars and the movie is about him being raised by a Japanese family and the when the war broke out he joined the Marines and fought in the war in the Pacific and became a hero having captured a Japanese General and his men on Saipan I believe. Lots of action and a really good plot and I believe I read that a lot of the movie was based on a real persons life.

I just Googled the title and Wikipedia has all kinds of info. Guy Gabaldon was a Marine, was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions, and lived for a time,after the war, on Saipan. There's a lot more facts, very interesting.

• 1 year later...
history-buff1944

The movie has also been released on DvD as of about 6 years ago and is still available.

history-buff1944
I ordered it from Warner Brothers on DVD and now I have it, thanks

Certainly--glad to help ;-))

This was a good film, and I remember it from my own teen years. It came out in 1960 and also starred Vic Damone, David Janssen and George Takei (later of Star Wars fame).

post-3976-1342829499.jpeg

history-buff1944
This was a good film, and I remember it from my own teen years. It came out in 1960 and also starred Vic Damone, David Janssen and George Takei (later of Star Wars fame).

Also had John Larch as their Company Commander. ;-)

George Takei best known for his role as Hikaru Sulu, helmsman of the USS Enterprise in the television series Star Trek. I remember the Jeffery Hunter part but it has been so long since I saw it I don'tremember George Takei.

history-buff1944
George Takei best known for his role as Hikaru Sulu, helmsman of the USS Enterprise in the television series Star Trek. I remember the Jeffery Hunter part but it has been so long since I saw it I don'tremember George Takei.

He was one of Guys "Brothers--same as Kaz was the other. Sessue Hayakawas Wife in real life played Guys "Mother." Sessue was the General who surrendered then committed harikari.