Need help from USMC Experts - Korean War?

TLHSS

Had our yearly Christmas lunch today at work, so we're allowed to leave a bit early for home. Doesn't happen very often, so I headed downtown to the local antique shop (first shopping trip in a couple of years for me). Found this patch ... very cheap. It's still in it's plastic wrap. Wool construction, with the EGA and wings all in bullion. Approximately 5 1/2in by 5 1/2 inches. Talked to the shop owner ... it was a local estate purchase. Based on some letters he gave me, the owner's name was "Townsend", and the letters were dated in the early 1950's. I'm not a patch guy, so I wanted some comments on what I have here. Again ... a very cheap piece, so even if it was made in the Pak as a reunion piece, I'm not out much. If it is a good piece, is it common, or a bit rare? Not asking for a value, since again, I didn't pay much.

Thanks in advance ... Tim

Front:

post-2144-1292638991.jpg

Back:

post-2144-1292639000.jpg

Patchcollector

I'm not an expert on the USMC insignia,but you have a keeper,my friend.I found a reference to the "New Itami Studio" here

Click here

When you get to the page I linked,search for Itami.

Here's some info for the patch I found,it's not your patch,but shows the manufacturer:

VMJ-1 Photographic Squadron

First Bullion Design per Mr. Holmberg's Book, Japan made

Squadron flew McDonnell F2H-2P Banshees out of K-3 during the KW

larger Bullion insignia, probably from the "New Itami Studio" in Iwakuni, Japan, scrapbook residue on back, UnUsed......(sold)

( serious buyers, I have a 300dpi picfile and the dimensions )

So....now that we have established the maker,it's time for the experts to chime in about the unit! :P

I agree with R......no matter what you paid for it, she is a beauty. :thumbsup:

Seems to me it will not be a common patch.

A Marine Air Wing was not that common in Korea, I would think.

The experts will tell you more, but I like it. :)

teufelhunde.ret

That is a beautiful one-off custom made for someone by that name. In September 1950, MAG-12 deployed to Itami, Japan, and then to Wonson, Korea, to support Korean War operations. MAG-12 supported UN Forces operations at the Chosin Reservoir and provided outstanding support to the ground forces during their courageous withdrawal to Hungnam. Through the end of the Korean Conflict, the Group participated successfully in numerous operations and accumulated over 80,000 effective combat sorties, against enemy troops, installations, vehicles and countless other vital targets. A second Navy Unit citation was awarded for its Korean War service. In 1956, after nearly 6 years in Korea, MAG-12 was withdrawn to Iwakuni, Japan, and remaines there today.

Please post this patch over here for reference: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=78579

s/f D.

GREAT piece! Special Services would have been the Marines who took care of 'health and welfare' issues, such as recreation, library, sports, etc. This could have been intended to be worn on a civilian shirt or shorts, or PT gear. (I've seen this done with later special services Marines working at the gym).

'Teufel....I don't recall MAG-12 at Iwakuni either time I was there, it was MAG-15. Could it have been re-flagged?

teufelhunde.ret
GREAT piece! Special Services would have been the Marines who took care of 'health and welfare' issues, such as recreation, library, sports, etc. This could have been intended to be worn on a civilian shirt or shorts, or PT gear. (I've seen this done with later special services Marines working at the gym).

'Teufel....I don't recall MAG-12 at Iwakuni either time I was there, it was MAG-15. Could it have been re-flagged?

Its still there: http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcasiwakuni/Pa...anizations.aspx

The only time they left (65 - 69 or 70???) was for a tour in VN. Mag-15 was shut down in 89.

Duuuh. Showing my age LOL. I could easily have googled that but it's a Saturday morning. I was there with VMFA-312 in '85 and '87. Wife was there with VMFA-122 in 88. Maybe MAG-15 was just for the UDP squadrons and MAG-12 was the one actually assigned to Iwakuni. Thanks for setting me straight :)

Had our yearly Christmas lunch today at work, so we're allowed to leave a bit early for home. Doesn't happen very often, so I headed downtown to the local antique shop (first shopping trip in a couple of years for me). Found this patch ... very cheap. It's still in it's plastic wrap. Wool construction, with the EGA and wings all in bullion. Approximately 5 1/2in by 5 1/2 inches. Talked to the shop owner ... it was a local estate purchase. Based on some letters he gave me, the owner's name was "Townsend", and the letters were dated in the early 1950's. I'm not a patch guy, so I wanted some comments on what I have here. Again ... a very cheap piece, so even if it was made in the Pak as a reunion piece, I'm not out much. If it is a good piece, is it common, or a bit rare? Not asking for a value, since again, I didn't pay much.

Thanks in advance ... Tim

Front:

post-2144-1292638991.jpg

Back:

post-2144-1292639000.jpg

The patch is listed in Holmberg's book as circa 1952. If you want to sell it for a hefty profit, let me know. I love New Itami Studio patches. Jeffro

I'd first like to thank everyone who posted information about the patch. I don't post things often enough, but when I do, I always learn a ton. So ... thanks again ... and know I deeply appreciate it!

A few things to add since I last posted .... I was able to find the gentleman's obit ... he passed away in November .... and the information listed lines up to all the research folks have posted.

I also went back to the shop Saturday morning, just by off chance that some other items were there that came from the estate. I was able to purchase his visor cap with khaki cover, and a flyer's scarf also marked to MAG 12. Both purchases were very reasonable (i.e., cheap).

And so everyone knowns I'm nuts ... I also asked about additional letters found at the estate, since I now knew this was a grouping. The shop owner gave me a couple when I purchased the patch, so I thought there could be more. There were .. he had saved most of the letters his mom wrote to him, and some from additional marines ... one that wrote of the retaking of Seoul. But ... they had been pitched in the garbage early in the morning. I could have them, as long as I fished them out of the trash bag. So ... I did just that. Glad my wife and kids weren't home to see the old man digging in someone else's trash ... but I couldn't let the items be pitched when I knew he cared enough about them to keep them all these years.

I've attached photos of the visor and scarf. Any additional information on the scarf insignia would of course be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ..... Tim

post-2144-1292819464.jpg

post-2144-1292819470.jpg

Proud of you for rolling up your sleeves and diving in the dumpster Tim. Preserving history is always a noble endeavor, even if one is digging through refuse.

Salute!

Capa

Tim, MABS 12 insignia is listed as first version used by MABS 12 in Korea from 1951-1955 in Holmberg's book. Glad you went the extra mile to keep this grouping together. Jeffro

I'd first like to thank everyone who posted information about the patch. I don't post things often enough, but when I do, I always learn a ton. So ... thanks again ... and know I deeply appreciate it!

A few things to add since I last posted .... I was able to find the gentleman's obit ... he passed away in November .... and the information listed lines up to all the research folks have posted.

I also went back to the shop Saturday morning, just by off chance that some other items were there that came from the estate. I was able to purchase his visor cap with khaki cover, and a flyer's scarf also marked to MAG 12. Both purchases were very reasonable (i.e., cheap).

And so everyone knowns I'm nuts ... I also asked about additional letters found at the estate, since I now knew this was a grouping. The shop owner gave me a couple when I purchased the patch, so I thought there could be more. There were .. he had saved most of the letters his mom wrote to him, and some from additional marines ... one that wrote of the retaking of Seoul. But ... they had been pitched in the garbage early in the morning. I could have them, as long as I fished them out of the trash bag. So ... I did just that. Glad my wife and kids weren't home to see the old man digging in someone else's trash ... but I couldn't let the items be pitched when I knew he cared enough about them to keep them all these years.

I've attached photos of the visor and scarf. Any additional information on the scarf insignia would of course be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ..... Tim

post-2144-1292819464.jpg

post-2144-1292819470.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your comments on this grouping.

I've decided to place it up for sale on the forum, since it's outside of my collecting interests.

If you have any interest, send me a PM.

Thanks .... Tim

• 3 weeks later...