US Regulation Bugle

Brig

this popped up on eBay. know nothing about instruments, but it's old, and rusty, and marked US Regulation and figured I'd snatch it up for the price. Any input? apparently came from a trunk with a lot of SpanAm items in it...missing the mouth piece

_B_iKB4w_2k___KGrHqR__k0Ey_jCyGFYBM_855mVM___0_3.jpg

this popped up on eBay. know nothing about instruments, but it's old, and rusty, and marked US Regulation and figured I'd snatch it up for the price. Any input? apparently came from a trunk with a lot of SpanAm items in it...missing the mouth piece

My reading has told me that no US issue bugles were marked US Regulation. I read that a long time ago and have no reference to present to you. I just avoid them because of that. I have two WW2 bugles; one is a green painted BUGLECRAFT Inc. and the other is J. LaRosa and Co. Both are made in L.I. City New York. I have one WW1 bugle made by J.W. York and Sons. Regards.

.Researching.....

Confusing research on the Internet. I may be in error saying that US issue bugles were not marked US Regulation. The "US Regulation" notation means that they are made to conform with the US 1892 pattern. I can't find if the original m1892 bugles were marked that way or not. Anyway, a nice relic you bought and it will look good hanging on the wall.

As Keith suspected, the "US Regulation" marking just means it's the same pattern as used by the military. Actual GI bugles have contract nomenclature stamped into them. The one I have is also marked "Q.M.C." but I can't say whether all are.

As Keith suspected, the "US Regulation" marking just means it's the same pattern as used by the military. Actual GI bugles have contract nomenclature stamped into them. The one I have is also marked "Q.M.C." but I can't say whether all are.

I have a Vet piece in my collection. It is brass, and complete with mouth piece and chain. Just above the bell is stamped "U. S. REGULATION/MADE IN U.S.A." Jack

Here are my two bugles and their markings.

102_0715.jpg

102_0716.jpg

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
Too Much WW1 Militaria

Brig,

There are two schools of thought on WW1 bugles. You do have the same type bugle there that would of been used in WW1. There is (unless it came in a group) no way of knowing if it was used in WW1, at least in the military. The Boy Scouts used the same bugle. Personally, I don't have a problem with it as a repersentitive piece. And, $15 is a lot better than $150!

Jack

My grandfather was a bugler in WW1. Oh the stories he told.

He had to get up first so he could blow revelle, and if he missed it the troops slept in and he got in trouble. He leanred to sleep with the bugle as it owuld be stolen at night when possible. Or they'd take the mouthpiece, or stuff it with something.

You also can't blow right on a cold mouthpiece so he had to litterally keep it on his body at night.

He played taps for the American Legion for years on one of those regulation bugules, however what he had in the war was the short one.