Camouflage use in Pictures

36-tex

These are WWII Airborne troops with self camouflaged uniforms. This might be a good study in contrast... It works nicely in the woods, but not so much in the streets!

A_101_Airborne_13_j.jpg

A_101_Airborne_25.JPG

These are WWII Airborne troops with self camouflaged uniforms. This might be a good study in contrast... It works nicely in the woods, but not so much in the streets!

*Brush-Patterns* looks always great !!! :thumbsup:

I can supply several examples.

In this picture Pfc Lowrey (on the radio) and Sgt Thomas are sitting in the LZ we'd just cut out of the jungle after a 6-day patrol in Happy Valley. Lowrey is wearing standard OG jungle utilities while Thomas is wearing issue camo jungle utilities (that's what we called them - ERDL camouflage to the purists) while waiting for the helo to take us back to Camp Reasoner. At the time Command was hot about camouflaging the exposed skin. the Battalion Commander, Lt Col Steinmetz stood at the top of the hill as almost every team went out and came in. If someone didn't have camo paint on his face, he and his team leader got a good talking to. We didn't bother replacing it once it wore off in the field (usually) but we applied it again before leaving the field to look good for the CO when we came in.

post-1107-1292768020.jpg

This is another picture from the same LZ as above. Sgt Thomas in holding a yellow air panel at this point.

post-1107-1292768028.jpg

In this picture, taken on Charlie Ridge, Cpl Rodriguez has worked his way into a bush on a hill with little vegetation other than waist-high grass and bushes. He is wearing the old standard tiger stripes.

post-1107-1292768714.jpg

In the picture below Cpl Triana is wearing the old "duck hunter camo on hill 452.

post-1107-1292769008.jpg

This one really isn't in the field but on the combat base at Camp Reasoner just before gearing up to go to the LZ. I'm wearing a Vietnamese pattern ERDL shirt with standard issue camo jungle utility trousers.

post-1107-1292770200.jpg

In this one, we were fooling around a but on Hill 425 in April of 1968. Most of the vegetation had been cleared off the hill by this time so almost any camo other than dirt-color would look a bit out of place. Cpl Eusay (far left) and I (in black beret) are wearing standard cotton tiger stripes. Sgt Thomas (behind me) is wearing standard issue camo jungle utilities, and the rest of the Marines are wearing standard jungle utilities.

post-1107-1292769175.jpg

Usually, standard OG was just fine in its own right. In the picture below, Sgt Thomas and Lt Grasilli are both wearing standard issue jungle utilities.

post-1107-1292769745.jpg

In the picture below, I'm wearing standard issue jungle utilities. camouflaged a bit by nature.

post-1107-1292769753.jpg

And one last one. This one is a modestly camouflaged NVA taken in his last moments of life. This one is something of an eye test.....can you find him?

post-1107-1292769958.jpg

Korea:

I do believe that Marine is wearing a cut-down 2nd camo Smock. :w00t:

Recon:

Thanks for posting those outstanding pics. Putting up period photos is always a great thing, but when they come from the personal stash of the guy who took them, it's a top-drawer exhibit, in my opinion. Thanks again for some great pics, and for your service to this Nation :thumbsup:

And dittoes on the Iwonam Flag-raising :laughing1:

post-350-1292773429.jpg

That flag raising pic is priceless!!!!!.....mike

You've got good eyes. Did you really spot him this time or just remember the pic I posted a year or so ago where I pointed him out? :lol:

We did that on the afternoon of the last full day on the OP. It had been pretty quiet. We hadn't killed (or even seen) anything in about 4 days and were getting bored so we decided to stage our own flag raising using the whip antenna from the radio and the little American flag I always carried with me.

Great pictures USMCRECON! Even better as they are you and yours. I agree, the plain OD fatigues did o.k. in the field. I also saw the NVA in the picture!

Thanks for your service!

You've got good eyes. Did you really spot him this time or just remember the pic I posted a year or so ago where I pointed him out? :lol:

We did that on the afternoon of the last full day on the OP. It had been pretty quiet. We hadn't killed (or even seen) anything in about 4 days and were getting bored so we decided to stage our own flag raising using the whip antenna from the radio and the little American flag I always carried with me.

First time seeing that pic for me!..... took me awhile though, first i thought he was up in the trees!!....thanks....mike

• 7 years later...