Unknown Patch, USMC?

HarmanBooks

Here is another patch I need some advice on. Does anyone recognize this one? I think it might be a very good patch and I'm pretty excited about it. Thanks in advance for your help.

post-20082-1292554634.jpg

Possibly a "variation" of the 5th Marine Division or Brigade, maybe early ww-2 possibly WW-1.

The star pattern suggests the Southern Cross as would be seen in the Southwest Pacific area where the Marines did their thing early on in the war. The "patch" could also have been cut out of a pennant or some other souvenir??

Patch Johnson

Thanks, it is made of either wool or felt, I cannot tell which for certain. It was found in an old scrapbook. I think you are right about the Southern Cross, but what sort of pennant would it be from?

The star pattern suggests the Southern Cross as would be seen in the Southwest Pacific area where the Marines did their thing early on in the war. The "patch" could also have been cut out of a pennant or some other souvenir??

Patch Johnson

Patchcollector

I'm not an expert,but when I look at it,it seems older than WW2,maybe pre WW2, but after WW1?I'm wondering what the gold thing in the Eagles mouth is?

It looks like some sort of bird, maybe a seagull or a dove?

Here is the reverse so you might be able to get a better idea of its age. You can see where it was attached to the scrapbook page.

post-20082-1292643353.jpg

I'm not an expert,but when I look at it,it seems older than WW2,maybe pre WW2, but after WW1?I'm wondering what the gold thing in the Eagles mouth is?

I think the thing in the mouth is a banner that reads "Semper Fidelis" of course it can't be produced in such a small size, but in all other USMC flags and stamps where the eagle has something in his mouth, it's the Semper FI banner, either on one banner he's holding the end of, or a banner he's holding in the center that waves outward to either side.

post-1424-1292644715.jpg

Semper Fidelis banner is visible here.

post-1424-1292644632.jpg

WWII Marine HBT's had the 2-way EGA banner

And with the 4 stars, it looks a LOT like the USMC Commandant's staff flag. Not sure if any of this helps, but my take on it.

post-1424-1292644820.png

Patchcollector
I think the thing in the mouth is a banner that reads "Semper Fidelis" of course it can't be produced in such a small size, but in all other USMC flags and stamps where the eagle has something in his mouth, it's the Semper FI banner, either on one banner he's holding the end of, or a banner he's holding in the center that waves outward to either side.

post-1424-1292644715.jpg

Semper Fidelis banner is visible here.

post-1424-1292644632.jpg

WWII Marine HBT's had the 2-way EGA banner

And with the 4 stars, it looks a LOT like the USMC Commandant's staff flag. Not sure if any of this helps, but my take on it.

post-1424-1292644820.png

OK,that makes sense,since the maker was'nt too concerned with details,maybe this is some sort of PX "novelty" type patch

teufelhunde.ret
....maybe this is some sort of PX "novelty" type patch

I would agree, these "types" have been sold in the Army-Navy stores for a long time.

Johnny Signor

just my opinion, but I wouldn't write it off too fast as a "PX" patch, note that the star formation has one star smaller than the rest and the usual area of the "globe" with land masses is not there , I still think this signifies some "specific" unit/div/corp/brigade type , just one not normally seen or an odd short lived type .

I'm also thinking post WW-1 and possibly pre-WW2 by the way it's made .

I would agree, these "types" have been sold in the Army-Navy stores for a long time.

Thank you for all your answers. You've been very helpful. I see what you mean about the "Semper Fidelis.." I feel silly now for not thinking of that. :w00t:

normaninvasion

I believe the 5 stars represent the Southern Cross constellation, this formation is seen ob 1st and 2nd MarDv patches, making it a ww2 or later