1st Cav Reenactment group in PA looking for new members!

cllctrtom

We are looking for new members for our Vietnam Reenactment/ Display/ Preservation/ Historical group. Please look us up at www.garyowens.webs.com for more info.

We portray A Company 1/7th Cav. 1st Cav. Div. (Air Mobile).

Thanks for looking!

Tom G.

Commander

Too bad I'm 11 hours away now and not really into Vietnam. Looks like you guys really got your shineola together. Keep up the good work and bravo!

Tom Bowers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We do have a Boot Camp coming up at AHEC, (Army Heritage & Education Center) located in Carlisle, PA April 30th - May 1st.

this would be a great time to join us and be a part of the unit!

TG

I was in the Cav from '68 to '69 and we were not issued boonie hats. We weren't even allowed to buy them and wear them in the field.

I was in the Cav from '68 to '69 and we were not issued boonie hats. We weren't even allowed to buy them and wear them in the field.

Gun, do you mind if I ask which part of the Cav you were in. We try to be as authentic as possible and this is the first I've heard of this as we portray troopers from the 1/7th circa 68 - 72.

Thanks for your help!

TG

Gun, do you mind if I ask which part of the Cav you were in. We try to be as authentic as possible and this is the first I've heard of this as we portray troopers from the 1/7th circa 68 - 72.

Thanks for your help!

TG

I was in 1/21st Artillery (M-102 105mm howitzer) and we supported the 2/7th and 5/7th if I remember. As I indicated, we were never issued the boonie cap and were warned at the repo depot not to even buy PX/gift shop hats as we would not be allowed to wear them. We worked outside in the blazing sun with no protection because of this idiocy. I always envied other units around us like the 11th AC, 1st Div, etc. who had them. It was official Cav policy and I don't recall seeing our grunts wearing them either. I think this whole business was because of Abrams who hated the caps. You guys look pretty convincing, however.

I see by your website that you have your reenactments near Boalsburg. Spent a lot of time out there while attending Penn State... for awhile dated a young lady who was living there. But of course the big attraction is the Pennsylvania Military Museum. I assume they still have the WWI trench diarama that you walk through.

I see by your website that you have your reenactments near Boalsburg. Spent a lot of time out there while attending Penn State... for awhile dated a young lady who was living there. But of course the big attraction is the Pennsylvania Military Museum. I assume they still have the WWI trench diarama that you walk through.

Gil,

Glad to hear you know the place. I'm here to report that the museum has changed dramatically, (and not for the better). The trench is still there but cut in half, All the gun displays that where upstairs are gone and they haven't received any new vehicles for well over 20, maybe even 30 years.

They did add a beautiful theater and now have 2 of the original 16 in. guns off the USS Pennsylvania on permanent display but other than that they have taken away more than added.

Still one of my favorite places though!

Take care,

TG

I was in 1/21st Artillery (M-102 105mm howitzer) and we supported the 2/7th and 5/7th if I remember. As I indicated, we were never issued the boonie cap and were warned at the repo depot not to even buy PX/gift shop hats as we would not be allowed to wear them. We worked outside in the blazing sun with no protection because of this idiocy. I always envied other units around us like the 11th AC, 1st Div, etc. who had them. It was official Cav policy and I don't recall seeing our grunts wearing them either. I think this whole business was because of Abrams who hated the caps. You guys look pretty convincing, however.

The guys aren't going to like it if I tell them to drop the Boonies! LOL!

If that's what it takes to be Cav, then so be it!

Thanks again!

TG

The guys aren't going to like it if I tell them to drop the Boonies! LOL!

If that's what it takes to be Cav, then so be it!

Living proof that we all learn something new every day. :thumbsup: I was at an event today where myself and two other guys were talking about that. The other two do VN era as well and one looked into some books and said he was surprised to find very few photos of 1st Cav guys wearing boonies as well. I never would have realized that myself, I just assumed everyone had them in 'Nam...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just joined this group. Sounds like a great bunch of guys. Mr. Grey and everyone else is so inviting. Glad to be a part of something so great!

Nick Cammaroto

Living proof that we all learn something new every day. :thumbsup: I was at an event today where myself and two other guys were talking about that. The other two do VN era as well and one looked into some books and said he was surprised to find very few photos of 1st Cav guys wearing boonies as well. I never would have realized that myself, I just assumed everyone had them in 'Nam...

As a postscript, we actually had one guy in our battery that wore a boonie hat. He was in our ammo section and was a very fair-haired somewhat balding guy from North Dakota. He used to get terrible sunburns on his head so our medic prescribed him to wear a hat. He got a hold of one of those duck hunter souvenir cowboy type hats. The battery commander threatened him with an article 15 for wearing it! The medic stood up for him and he remained the only one I know of in our unit that actually wore a hat in the field.

• 2 weeks later...
As a postscript, we actually had one guy in our battery that wore a boonie hat. He was in our ammo section and was a very fair-haired somewhat balding guy from North Dakota. He used to get terrible sunburns on his head so our medic prescribed him to wear a hat. He got a hold of one of those duck hunter souvenir cowboy type hats. The battery commander threatened him with an article 15 for wearing it! The medic stood up for him and he remained the only one I know of in our unit that actually wore a hat in the field.

Behold the power of the medic!!! LOL