Info for the 467th Parachute Field Artillery needed

larry030767

Does anyone know when and with whom the 467th PFA served? Got zip with my Google attempt. Drew a blank with both G. Devlin's books. Curious! Thanks for looking.

post-104-1188600733.jpg

pathfinder505

I found the following:

This was written by RICHARD MCDONALD JONES JR.

My first assignment was to the Eighth Armored Division at Camp Polk Louisiana. The regular complement of officers was filled, so I was designated as Attached-Unassigned. When the Division was shipped overseas I was transferred to an Artillery Brigade at Fort Pike, Little Rock, Arkansas under the same condition. When this unit was shipped overseas I was transferred to School Troops at Fort Sill.

Now, an interesting situation developed. Major Jack Francisco was organizing a parachute field artillery battalion at Camp McCall, North Carolina, and he was looking for officers to volunteer for this unit. I joined the 467th Field Artillery Battalion at Camp McCall in November 1944. I attended the Parachute School at Fort Benning, Georgia in January 1945 and earned my wings as a paratrooper and returned to my unit at Camp McCall. All of the airborne divisions had been sent overseas, but our battalion remained at Camp McCall until it became apparent that the Allies had the war well under control.

In early July 1945 our battalion was deactivated and I was transferred to the parachute school at Fort Benning as an instructor in the advanced training division. In October 1945, it had become apparent that replacement troops for airborne units were no longer needed, and I was transferred to School Troops at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

pathfinder505

Also found this:

542nd Parachute Infantry Regiment

n September 1, 1943 the 542nd Parachute Infantry Regiment was activated at Fort Benning, Georgia under the command of Colonel William T. Ryder who was fresh from a tour of combat duty with the 82nd Airborne Division. Colonel Ryder also served as a lieutenant in command of the original Parachute Test Platoon. He later served as the airborne advisor to General MacArthur.

On March 17, 1944 the Regiment was deactivated. Two battalions of the original 542nd were used to provide replacements for units in the European Theater and the third battalion became the 542nd Parachute Battalion. The 542nd Parachute Infantry Battalion was formed on March 17, 1944 and remained at Fort Benning until 1 July 1944 when it was relocated to Camp Mackall, North Carolina. The unit was then attached to the Airborne Center Command Headquarters, remaining in this assignment for one year.

Since the 542nd PIR never fielded more than two battalions it was considered a regiment in name only. It main function was to provide replacement troops to the parachute infantry units overseas. It was finally deactivated on July 1, 1945 at Camp Mackall.

On 1 July 1945 the unit was re-designated The Airborne Center Training Detachment, and was reorganized by the removal of two line companies and most of the men were transferred to I Company. G Company & H Companies also underwent reorganization were replaced by a Glider Company and a battery from the 467th Airborne Field Artillery.

During the life span of the 542nd Parachute Infantry Regiment, the 542nd Parachute Infantry Battalion and the Airborne Center Training Detachment furnished several thousand badly needed, highly trained paratroopers and glidermen that served in units fighting overseas. The Battalion provided the Airborne Center with airborne equipment testing and development, Airborne Firepower and Operations Demonstration Teams, "War Bond" sales promotion teams and Army Air Corps Troop Carrier Schools.

Thank you! Pathfinder505. SEMPER PRIMUS thumbsup.gif Well, well the 467th PFA was a school/ABN Command unit that never deployed overseas. Interesting!