USN/USMC aviators Rigger Made items

babaou

Paul,

The last holster you have shown is an amazing piece, thanks for sharing!

Will

Yes and it is more USMC style used mostly by Marine Aviators !

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed those items. When I saw the auction for that .45 holster, I almost fell off my chair. I've had a photo in my archives for a few years now of Bob Hanson, the top USMC Corsair ace, and he's wearing it's twin.

The only difference I can see is that he cut off the holster's flap:

post-9787-1297101933.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Great photo Paul.

Here photo of Major Hugh Elwood USMC aviator and Colt 1911 .45 rigger made holster sewn together with first aid kit pocket under the right arm.

Regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1297174838.jpg

• 1 month later...
pararaftanr2

Hello all,

Haven't seen anything new in this thread for a while, so hoped I could generate some new interest.

I first saw photos of these belts in use by the pilots and crewmen of VB-81, the "Hellrazors", in their air group cruise book.

It's a simple web trouser belt, as used with dungaree trousers. I was lucky to find one on ebay years ago and it included 35 rounds of .38 tracer ammo. I don't think you could get away with that now days!

post-9787-1302092925.jpg

post-9787-1302092949.jpg

post-9787-1302092991.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Thanks for great item and pics Paul. It is "one of a kind item" for sure.

Im curiosity why pilot from your VB-81 pic. carried so much ammunition. I know that we were speaking about it in the past but maybe another membmer from here ( Charlie??? ) will answer for our question...

here are another cool modification with loops for ammo:

sewed loops to the M426 flight suit belt

post-369-1302096682.jpg

Charlie Flick
I was lucky to find one on ebay years ago and it included 35 rounds of .38 tracer ammo. Paul

Hi Paul:

I like that trouser belt ammo carrier. Never seen one of that type before. Excellent find!

You mentioned that the ammunition was Tracer. Tracer and Ball were the two types of .38 Special ammunition issued for combat use in WW2. Tracer was favored by Naval Aviators as it could serve the dual functions of signaling and personal defense. Both types were manufactured by Remington UMC. The head stamps on both types are the same. The Ball projectile was steel jacketed and copper gilded. The Tracer was also copper gilded but had red painted tips on the bullets. The red tip was usually a dark red. I don't see the red tips on your ammunition so either the paint has faded or the photo just does not show the tips well or the bullets are actually Ball ammunition.

Great stuff. Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

pararaftanr2

Hi Charlie,

You are welcome and thanks for your input. I do have a full box of WWII vintage tracer ammo for the Victory revolver and, as you mentioned, the tips are all red:

post-9787-1302107525.jpg

pararaftanr2

The ammo with the web belt showed no sign of the red tips, however, it does have a ring around the case, which also appears on the red tipped ammo:

post-9787-1302107696.jpg

post-9787-1302107791.jpg

I would deffer to your expertise, but have assumed this might be another way of differentiating the tracer from ball ammo (especially at night when the color might not be of help)?

pararaftanr2

post-9787-1302108297.jpg

I read a gun forum thread a few years ago about Victory revolvers and one post related how a TBF crew member recalled his squadron sanding off the red paint on the tracers.

I have no idea why such a labor intensive operation would be done, but would appreciate your thoughts on the subject or any further clarification you can offer. Thanks again for your help! Best regards, Paul

Charlie Flick

Hi Paul:

That is the correct .38 Special Tracer ammo, but in a post-war version. An example of the WW2 issued .38 Special Tracer ammo from my collection is shown below. Authors Woodin & Hackley agree on this as well.

Tracer 38 Special Rem UMC.jpg

That story about the TBM squadron removing the paint from the bullet tips is interesting, but I can't think of any legitimate reason why that would have been done. Removing the paint changes the appearance, of course, but would have no effect on the Tracer characteristics of the ammunition. A puzzler.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Here is my new unusual addition.

Two M556B dye markers but re-enforcment at the back by heavy grey cavans. Cavans is the same type like in M592 survival back pad kit and often used by riggers to made another survival pouch, holster etc. After small conversation with Paul, we are thinking that this type of re-enforcment avoid split d.m. from tie tape which is easy... It make sense becouse another type of M556B have factory added three rivets and for sure is more stronger.

Thanks Charlie that You showed us correct WW2 tracer ammunition box!

Regards,

Jerry

post-369-1302172863.jpg

post-369-1302172897.jpg

post-369-1302172919.jpg

The USMC purchased some 5000 No. 191's for ground use. I have to imagine that a few got into the hands of some pilots, and since no scabbards were issued with these machetes, the riggers had to come up with something.

MVC_100S.JPG

Great and unusual item for pilots Robin. Im curiosity how the pilots could used it in tight cockpit... Rigger made scabbard looks amazing.

I heard about some machete used by VP sqadron crew member. I hope Pararaftanr2( Paul) will say more about it :)

Regards,

Jerry

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody

I haven't seen anything new in this thread for a while, so this a new USMC M1936 pistol belt with rigger made ammo loops for ammunition.

I don’t know why another twill band was added over the white loops but I got the belt in this condition.

The belt is stamped on the back with USMC and the year 1943.

post-15129-1308221890.jpg

Hi Greg!

Thanks for photos ! Another one great rigger made item. I dont have idea why loops are covered by green twill but all looks good and vintage!

I guess this belt was made by S.F. company in 1943. All S.F. company USMC contraced items are made from more green than tan/khaki material. I have the same belt in my collection S.F. company 1943 USMC marked but without ammo loops.

Paul bought another one variation of modified pistol belt I hope he put photos here soon :)

I lucky to buy another one rigger modified belt. Paul posted before his variation of waist black belt with ammo loops, here is my one in tan version and 33 loops for .38 bullet. I guess loops are made from white goggle strap.

Regards,

Jerry

post-369-1308226725.jpg

post-369-1308226741.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

Here are some S&W 38 rigger modified holsters with details of materials used for the ammo loops and markings on the back. All of the holsters were made by BOYT and are dated 43 or 44

post-15129-1311682338.jpg

post-15129-1311682350.jpg

post-15129-1311682371.jpg