USN/USMC aviators Rigger Made items

babaou

I think here is the end of story... The "rigger made" stuff shows great way of evolution how they try to improved all kind of survival stuff which was very important to survive after your plane was shot down...

Also the way of carring the ammuniotion is very interesting. Here is rigger made ammunition pouch for .38 bullets for S&W Victory model revolver.

Also we can noticed all kind variation of sewn ammo loops to the .38 M3 holster. Loops made from: white/tan cloth, black, or with extra sleeve made from blue twill.

post-369-1292235018.jpg

post-369-1292235133.jpg

Gentlemen,

Thanks for a very exciting and over-due topic Greg. Also, thanks to Jerry for an overview of the survival gear developments that correspond with all the rigger made items. This has always been an area of great interest for me so I thought I would share an item attributed to a Coast Guard PBY pilot, Lt. (jg) George Leonard Briggs. He flew with VP-6 out of Greenland. His rigger made survival vest is made from the typical gray canvas. The front pockets are lined with what appears to be yellow life raft sail fabric and the Talon zippers have the brown tape as found on leather flight jackets. Although it came to me empty, with the exception of his survival manual, I took the license of filling it with some gear from an M-592 backpad kit for display. It's hard to see in these low-res photos, but the upper back pocket is even stitched in the shape of the Coast Guard shield. Briggs is kneeling on the left of the front row in this squadron photo:

post-9787-1292330459.jpg

Maybe someone from here bought at ebay years ago a "rigger made" survival vest with a lot of fighter pilot WW2/post war documents... Vest was made from dark blue cavans with sewn brown leather holster...

For bad luck I didnt save a pics. on my computer:(

Regards,

JK

Fantastic stuffs!

Here are some postwar USN riggers made suits and survival equipments.

Z-2 with knife pocket on the bottom leg

z2002.jpg

5390B flight suit with the same transformation

golladayetui.jpg

MK-3C life preserver with additional pockets for PSK-2 kit.

20100123003.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Greg and All,

A few more rigger items to share. First is a shoulder holster for the .38 Victory revolver which is displayed with a first aid belt of the style shown in Jerry's post #16 above:

post-9787-1297031028.jpg

Next is a .45 holster rig I found on ebay in December. It also has a small pouch for a lensatic compass and a large pouch for two ammo clips and first aid items. The front tie, which I added, is a used boondocker lace:

post-9787-1297031378.jpg

Charlie Flick

Paul:

Both are very nice items. Congratulations on some good finds.

If you would like to know the shipping date on your Victory Model revolver PM me with the complete serial number and the left top strap markings and I can give you a very good estimate from the Victory Model Database.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Here's my rigger made M3 submachinegun case. The gun fits pretty tight. I think that if an M3A1 were used instead of my M3, it would fit better. The charging handle makes it not fit quite right.

MVC_099S.JPG

MVC_098S.JPG

MVC_100S.JPG