Official US Navy Tiara (Females)

Bob Hudson

From the Department of You Learn Something New Everyday, here's an official US Navy tiara:

nursecap1.jpg

I came across this the other day while negotiating to buy part of a Navy nurse's grouping (which did not happen).

I had no idea what this piece was but I took a photo and tonight found out:

tiara2.jpg

It's an optional item for wear with Former and Dinner dress uniforms. I looked all over the web and could not find any for sale, not even at Marlow White, so I wonder where a female officer would buy one of these if there are even any officers these days who'd wear one?

I've never seen one before, though I did find some photos of a few being worn.
I remember seeing more of a wire/sparkley one being worn with a female mess dress but I forget where the image is, I found that interesting, but since these are more of a headgear type it's definitely peaked my interest.
Always nice to see and learn new things!
Thanks!

post-22-0-16021500-1400088711.jpg

post-22-0-22866500-1400088713.jpg

I've only seen tiaras in wear a couple of times...my first time was a female flag officer...and THAT was an impressive tiara! One of the Ensigns I once worked with went out and bought one new...I think it was around $100 IIRC...she had to special order it from the uniform shop. Yes, people did poke fun at her for wearing it, but that was part of the reason she bought it (kind of a rebel anyway...) :lol:

Brian Dentino

Oh come on Dave.....you know you wanted one too! :lol: I am sure that you would have looked FABULOUS sporting one of these little beauties..... :pinch: :whistling: Talk about a don't want to know.....DIDN'T ask. :naughty:

On a serious note, I learned something new today.......I had NO idea that any branch of our military had authorized a tiara for uniform wear.

I've never seen one before, though I did find some photos of a few being worn.

I remember seeing more of a wire/sparkley one being worn with a female mess dress but I forget where the image is, I found that interesting, but since these are more of a headgear type it's definitely peaked my interest.

Always nice to see and learn new things!

Thanks!

navytiara2-1.jpg

navytiara-1.jpg

Actually, if you look at this photo, the Army, Navy and Marine are all wearing one, specific to their service.

These are no longer available. I just checked the Navy Exchange cateloge. I think they were dropped in the mid '90s. That was about the same time that the white combination hat was made optional for wear with these uniforms, rather than required...This female uniform is what happens when you take something that isn't and make it so. Civilian ladies would be wearing evening gownes in this situation. There is really no way to display rank insignia or awards on a ladies evening gown, so the male Formal/Dinner Dress uniforms were adapted to a more "feminine" look. When these uniforms were created ('50s ?), the tiara was the fashion.

Steve Hesson

These are no longer available. I just checked the Navy Exchange cateloge. I think they were dropped in the mid '90s.

The Ensign I knew bought hers in April 2009. She actually opened the box on the ship with many of us present. They aren't offered via the regular catalog, they are only available by special order and are still available for purchase. 4-6 weeks to receive it if anyone needs one.

Dave

The Ensign I knew bought hers in April 2009. She actually opened the box on the ship with many of us present. They aren't offered via the regular catalog, they are only available by special order and are still available for purchase. 4-6 weeks to receive it if anyone needs one.

Dave

These are still listed as an optional item in what seem to be the current regs at http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/USN...ormRegulations/

• 2 weeks later...
well i learned at least one thing today, very interesting!

I showed this to my wife when she got home today and she thought it was totally cool and immediately asked to try it on.

Hmmmm, wonder if this could be her Christmas present? :whistling:

tiara_tiara.jpg

I showed this to my wife when she got home today and she thought it was totally cool and immediately asked to try it on.

Hmmmm, wonder if this could be her Christmas present? :whistling:

post-214-1293160435.jpg

I told my sister about this thread. She also thinks they are totaly cool and she said she has wanted one since she started putting together her dinner dress uniforms. Says she is holding out until she makes Master Chief. go figuer :think:

Steve Hesson

Dave

Dave, My sister is asking "Special order from where". The NEX says they know nothing of these (which is typical of those bandits).

Steve Hesson

• 1 year later...

FINALLY found my pics of the tiara in wear. These were taken in 2008...

tiara1.jpg

And... (I will only confirm that these were taken AFTER combined CPO Mess/Wardroom Dining In...)

tiara2.jpg

It that a tiara, or a beret?

Also, is the gold leaf indicative of rank?

She's wearing a tiara, but unfortunately at almost midnight it was dark enough where I couldn't get the back of her head (and you can tell she wasn't thrilled about having her photo taken either...) :rolleyes: The gold oakleaves on FS's tiara are just like the oakleaves for male officers...O-5 and above wear them, whereas O-4 and below have none.

Dave

And... (I will only confirm that these were taken AFTER combined CPO Mess/Wardroom Dining In...)

OH YEAH!!! That'll look good around FitRep time :lol:

Steve Hesson (who has pretty much the same photo around herre some place)

OH YEAH!!! That'll look good around FitRep time :lol:

That's okay...I didn't post the one of her giving me "the bird" for taking the photos to begin with... ;) :pinch:

She's wearing a tiara, but unfortunately at almost midnight it was dark enough where I couldn't get the back of her head (and you can tell she wasn't thrilled about having her photo taken either...) :rolleyes: Dave

I didn't realize that YOU were taking the pictures until now!! :lol: You were lucky to escape with yoour life!

I didn't realize that YOU were taking the pictures until now!! :lol: You were lucky to escape with yoour life!

I might have been on active duty, but still had the heart of a militaria collector! How often do you see these things worn? I just wish I had snapped some pics of the admiral I saw wearing one (with all the "big" golden oakleaves!)

Dave

I might have been on active duty, but still had the heart of a militaria collector! How often do you see these things worn? I just wish I had snapped some pics of the admiral I saw wearing one (with all the "big" golden oakleaves!)

Dave

Funny!

That's okay...I didn't post the one of her giving me "the bird" for taking the photos to begin with... ;) :pinch:

Really though, those are classic "Squids on Libs" pics. I Love

em!

Steve Hesson

• 2 weeks later...

Just ran across this on a friend of a friend's facebook page...apparently, current purchase price for a junior officer tiara is $153...

tiara.jpg

Just ran across this on a friend of a friend's facebook page...apparently, current purchase price for a junior officer tiara is $153...

So this is more of a flaunt-it uniform item. Buy it because you can.

Spathologist
Well I now own the tiara

Fess up...you spent a good ten minutes sporting that thing in front of a mirror...