Anyone have a Good Uniform Restorer?

Dave

All:

I recently purchased a very historical uniform with about a quarter-sized moth hole/mouse bite in the patch pocket. Does anyone have a contact they could suggest who could professionally repair the hole in the pocket? The uniform is historically valuable enough that I am willing to pay well to someone who can do a professional job of it.

Thanks!

Dave

All:

I recently purchased a very historical uniform with about a quarter-sized moth hole/mouse bite in the patch pocket. Does anyone have a contact they could suggest who could professionally repair the hole in the pocket? The uniform is historically valuable enough that I am willing to pay well to someone who can do a professional job of it.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave, What kind and period uniform are we talking about?

I don't know anyone professional that I can direct you to but I would imagine a call/search to local tailers might produce a competent individual to repair the item.

I find that it is not difficult to repair minor damge myself. Of course not major damage but moth holes like you mentioned. I have very little sewning skills but it's surprising how one can do some minor repairs without having professional sewning skills.

The best way is to back the hole using the same kind of material as the item's material. In a lot of cases a small amount of material for this can be removed from the item usually from excess material around the seams or other areas where that removal would not be noticable. If no excess material can obtained be from the item you might try a trip to a fabric store to find some similar material that would blend in. Secure the material patch with the same color thread as the material and sew using small/tiny stitches that don't show much. Ray

Dave, What kind and period uniform are we talking about?

Ray, thanks for the pointers. This is a WW1 US Army officer's jacket. What (I think) needs to happen is to have a tailor take a piece of the fabric from inside the pocket, and then weave it into the hole on the outside of the pocket. That's about the only way to get it done properly. With this jacket as expensive as it is though, I wouldn't trust it with any local tailor, unless they had significance in re-weaving antique cloth items.

Dave

All:

Thanks!

Dave

You want a reweaver and they are a dying breed. There are some on the internet in case you're in an area that has none (and that's most areas anymore). Do a google search for reweaving - here's one example of what you'll find: http://www.fabricmending.com/

I've done some moth hole repairs on a couple of my IKE jackets myself. I use a piece of the wool fabric from a similar jacket and sew or glue it in the hole. In 90% of the cases you don't see it at all. This all depends on the size of the hole offcourse. If you have a torn up jacket lying about somewhere it's best do practice some first and then move on to the real thing. Personally I don't trust tailors :lol:

Best regards

Carl

Ray, thanks for the pointers. This is a WW1 US Army officer's jacket. What (I think) needs to happen is to have a tailor take a piece of the fabric from inside the pocket, and then weave it into the hole on the outside of the pocket. That's about the only way to get it done properly. With this jacket as expensive as it is though, I wouldn't trust it with any local tailor, unless they had significance in re-weaving antique cloth items.

Dave

For something like a mothhole they won't patch: they will actually use thread to reweave it. Anyone who is a reweaver can do it: ask to see a sample of their work, but as I understand it, you either know how to reweave or you don't, and if they do know how to, then they should be able to do a good job regardless of the age of the piece. I bought my wife a new wool coat for $350 a few years back and moths got to that. You could not tell where the holes had ben after the reweaver got done with it. I pass on buying (for actuall very low prices) a lot of uniforms with mothing, especially on things like knit cuffs of old flight jackets. I've often thought it might be worth learning how to do it. Has anyone seen a copy of Reweaving For Dummies?

Along these same lines, I have several recently inherited several wool uniforms from the late 1950's. Anybody have any ideas regarding protecting these uniforms from those nasty uniform-eaters?

Along these same lines, I have several recently inherited several wool uniforms from the late 1950's. Anybody have any ideas regarding protecting these uniforms from those nasty uniform-eaters?

I use moth traps and once every few months a cedar-scented spray in the room where the uniforms are: that seems to work great. The spray is in an orange can with the brand name SLA: http://www.kilianhardware.com/slamotconspr.html

I have had success is "shaving" some of the jackets fibers and then using a clothing glue to fill in moth holes.

Good one Tex. I have used that technique also for small holes and it works very well and if done proper you can't tell the hole was ever there. Need to be careful though and not use too much glue, Ray

Yes.

It didn't belong to anyone famous per se.... more like to someone from a famous unit. I'll post up the name once I get done paying for it. ;)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Armed 2 tha Teeth
I have had success is "shaving" some of the jackets fibers and then using a clothing glue to fill in moth holes.

What type of glue would you use for this? I have a pair of WWII Marine pants and a Marine jacket each with a hole the size of an eraser head. I was thinking about either "shaving" the garments of taking a bit out of the hem of the pants to fix them. Please enlighten me on how to do this correctly.

Dave,

I have a "little old lady" who used to reweave for a living out of a local department store. She is retired and doesn't do much work, but I would bet that I could talk her into doing it if the project is important enough. She occassionally does some work for the state historical society, so they think she is as good as I do.

Holler at me.

Allan

I would highly recommend Lynn Gorges, the wife of well known Civil War dealer, Will Gorges. His wife is a professional textile conservator. Just go to www.battlegroundantiques.com and browse their site for her contact information. The important thing to consider, is that if the person DOES goof it up, you want someone with insurance coverage. A professional textile conservationist would have such coverage, as well as the skill to undertake such an endouvor. Anyone else??? Well, your just playing with fire. Let me know if you go with this person.

Chris

• 1 month later...