MikeS

US Model 1912 Cavalry (Swivel) Holster Markings?

Hello Folks -

Came across this Model 1912. It appears to have been issued to the 1st Division, 2nd Battalion Machine Gun Unit, and that looks correct. However, I am a bit puzzled by the inspector's stamps. Beneath the 1914 date is impressed "W. Mc" and over that another set of "E O". I'm wondering if the W. Mc may be a subcontractor? I did find that "EO" was an inspector at RIA from 1913 onward. Apologies for the quality of the photo, it is much clearer in person.

Thanks!

Mike S.post-5950-1291905944.jpg

IMHO the swivel attachement was made by Mc Monies,as subcontractor, who stamped his name in short form being the complete W.H.Mc.M.

Usually inspectors stamped their complete initials, name and family name and W.Mc is a non sense. You can compare the font of markings with my M1916 Mc Monies.

post-67-1291927809.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

IMHO the swivel attachement was made by Mc Monies,as subcontractor, who stamped his name in short form being the complete W.H.Mc.M.

Usually inspectors stamped their complete initials, name and family name and W.Mc is a non sense. You can compare the font of markings with my M1916 Mc Monies.

Thanks very much. Certainly makes sense, and the shortened form appears very similar to the longer one on your holster!

Best regards, Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.