Are "Stink Bugs" Bad For Uniforms?

AirMechanic

I recently purchased a uniform that had some live "stink bugs" in it. I believe I removed them all, but was wondering if they would do any harm to the uniform if I missed any?

Diet:

To the gardener, stink bugs are a mixed blessing. As a group, stink bugs use their piercing, sucking mouthparts to feed on a variety of plants and insects. Most members of the family Pentatomidae suck sap from the fruiting parts of plants, and can cause significant injury to the plants. Some damage foliage as well. However, predatory stink bugs overpower caterpillars or beetle larvae, keeping pest insects in check. A few stink bugs begin life as herbivores, but become predators.

http://insects.about.com/od/truebugs/p/Pentatomidae.htm

Doesn't look like they do, but they sure as heck stink when bothered. I smashed a stink bug on my cheek one time and the secretion it gave off soaked through my cheek. I could taste it in my mouth and I thought I was going to die. NASTY!!!!

I wouldn't take any chances and get rid of them.

Arch

Cobrahistorian

Found one on a uniform I got the other day too. I don't think they're an issue unless you squash them on the uniform. I just opened the door and flicked his butt out!

Manchu Warrior
The stink bug!post-19973-1292257184.jpg

That is the one that invaded my part of the country and I am still finding them alive out in my very very cold shed so they must be one hell of a hardy insect.

We are still finding them alive here in PA too. We did find a handy solution for exterminating them this summer. Mix up a strong solution of Dawn dish soap and water into a jar and simply drop them in. They last about 15 seconds before turning belly up and sinking! The same works pretty well outside with a sprayer. One important thing to note is DON"T SMASH THEM TO KILL THEM! The smell they give off when smashed is supposed to attract more stink bugs!

Croix de Guerre

Must've been a heck of a year for them. We had them by the truck load in Virginia. Here at the house we didn't have too many, but we made up for them by having a zillion lady bugs. I still find a few buzzing around even now. None of them have a taste for wool, so its a live and let live truce here at my house. Moths on the other hand,,now thats a whole different story. :devil:

Must've been a heck of a year for them. We had them by the truck load in Virginia. Here at the house we didn't have too many, but we made up for them by having a zillion lady bugs. I still find a few buzzing around even now. None of them have a taste for wool, so its a live and let live truce here at my house. Moths on the other hand,,now thats a whole different story. :devil:

Here's a good website, if you want to get some more info on "stink-bugs" or "wantsen" as we say in Holland:

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/rider/Pentatomoidea/

Don't worry about uniforms; they use mostly (!) plants as hosts. Indeed don't smash them while they're ón the uniform, otherwise you'll be fine.

Rogier van de Hoef

Have the lady bug infestation here in NC as well. They lay eggs in window seals on the west side of my house where the afternoon sun beats down and warms up house. I was told that they were not lady bugs but japanese beetles. If they are orangish yellow, japanese beetles and of course, red for ladybugs. Either one, when they are in the thousands, quiet annoying!

hey guys i've found 5 of them upon an original general dress cape (just arrived from the USA 2 days ago) and i've immediattely sent the cape to get the first DRY CLEAN.

Hope those ''funny'' bugs dont eat the wool... and hope that a common dry clean is enough to kill any eventual eggs they've done on the cape!!!

any answer?? XD please i'm a little bit scared about those bugs... i don't wanna open the wardrobe and find about 10000 stink bugs eating my 5 beautiful 1938 capes!!!

Or worst jumping out with one of my full dress and run away !!! XD

zzzcu.jpg

i'm pretty sure they don't eat wool but i wanna listen your confirm

Giancarlo

ITALY

• 2 weeks later...

One good thing about living in the South with fire ants, if and when I find a moth I pull one wing off and drop it on a fire ant nest. The moth gets what it deserves. :thumbsup:

• 4 years later...
439th Signal Battalion

That is the one that invaded my part of the country and I am still finding them alive out in my very very cold shed so they must be one hell of a hardy insect.

These alien invaders are all over western North Carolina and my weapons are useless against them. The more I pick up and flush down the toilet or suck up with the vacuum turns out to be in vain as more appear later. I don't even see any birds or other predators eating them outside. My chickens wouldn't even peck at them more than once and that's saying a lot.

They have been in the room where I store all of my uniforms and militaria, but I haven't noticed any damage to anything aside from the smell if you pick them up with bare hands.

The ones I tend to find in the militaria room are just dead and leave their shell/body/carcass/space-suit (so to speak) behind and resemble something that you would find fossilized at Area 51.

I would bet that if someone were to invent something that would take care of these creatures, they would make more money than all politicians combined.