H. J. Hesson, SC3, Pearl Harbor

sigsaye

My uncle, Hubert James ("Jim") Hesson had his 20th birthday on December 7 1941. He was the Ships Cook (Third Class) aboard the Fleet Tug USS Sunnadin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sunnadin_(AT-28) . Like all Hessons after him, if it is your birthday or any other sort of holiday, you are either at sea or have the duty. He had the duty. He was in the middle of serving breakfast to the crew that morning when the General Quarters alarm went off. He secured his galley stoves and headed to his GQ station, which as with most supply types is stretcher bearer (The ship had no guns at the time, so there were no gun crews).

The ship had been built in 1918, older than Jim. She was entirely made of wood but had Deisel engins, which wer inediately lit off getting the ship underway in the harbor as the attack started. My uncle had a copy of the deck log from the morning of the attack, these were given out to all crew members. The ship made it's way through the harbor. Appearantly, she was too insignificant to wast ammunition on as she did not come directly under fire. She did however participate in fighting the fires on other ships, and most importantly, rescuing hundreds of Sailors and Marines from the waters of Pearl Harbor. The crew lowered cargo nets over the sides and slowly moved through the harbor. If a man was too injured to climb the nets, Sunnadin Sailors would go into the water after them and secure lines to them so they could be hoisted aboard.

The decks began to be covered with survivors, many wounded and in shock. My uncle was able to find a couple able bodied survivors to take his station (They were pretty much carrying each other by then). He rounded up a couple of others (one was a ships cook from a Battleship which my uncle had forgotten the name of). they went to his galley and did what cooks do. They made gallons of coffee and bolonga sandwhiches. With the help of a couple of other guys, they made their way around the decks, passing out sandwhiches and coffee to the men crowded on the decks watching the world as they knew it end. Other than a one line entry in the deck log (Peace Time Navy mentality of logging everything), he is not mentioned again. He didn't receive and medals or commendations. He just did what Sailors are supposed to do. He went on to serve a full career of 20 years, retireing in 1960. They were not really distinguished years, just the norm ofr a Navy Cook. He retired as a Chief Commissary Steward (a rate he had held since 1943). He raised a family and held a number of jobe including 15 years a a police officer. Jim died in November '06.

Steve Hesson

This was a nice read--thank you for sharing. Like your uncle and his shipmates, the sailors on the USS Sacramento spent that Sunday helping too. They weren't glamorous battleship sailors, but their stories are just as interesting. Best wishes, Jim

Salvage Sailor

Photo of the USS Sunnadin (AT-28) from the National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors photo archive

By the by Steve, we're holding our 2011 meeting in Honolulu, probably the last hurrah for our Pearl Harbor survivors.

28sunnadin.jpg

Photo of the USS Sunnadin (AT-28) from the National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors photo archive

By the by Steve, we're holding our 2011 meeting in Honolulu, probably the last hurrah for our Pearl Harbor survivors.

The last time I was in Pearl was passing through on the way to Japan in '82. Haven't been back since. My sister and brother-in Law live there and plan to retire there. When my father dies, we will take him and my Mom (cremains) there to be burried. They always loved it there. Never missed a chance to got to the Arizona.

Rusty, I know what you mean. It seems (on this forum at least to me) that if a Sailor wasn't a Corpsman with the Marines, an aircrew man or on a Sub, he was just a guy drawing a pay check. Just my view.

Steve Hesson

I thought that I'd post a link about a spunky little "bird boat" and her crew who fought the Japanese at Guam on Dec. 8th (local time) 1941. This letter was written in 1958 by a sailor who had been a crew member on the USS Penguin, a former WWI minesweeper and 1920's Yangtze River gunboat. It speaks well of the men who crewed this small man-of-war on sea, on land, and as POWs. Jim

http://guampedia.com/robert-obrien-u-s-prisoner-of-war/

Great story. If we didn't have cooks then we would have a very hungry military. My dad was a Marine cook and I know no better cook then my dad when it comes to making a really big meal.

• 3 months later...

Hi, new to this forum. Are there any living survivors from the Sunnadin. Interested in it's service in Pearl Harbor both during and after the attack. Does anyone remember if the tug assisted the large Floating crane during salvage work along Battleship Row and also during the cleanup of LST's in West Loch in 1944.

Thanks for you help and above all your service.

Mike Marland

• 1 month later...
Rakkasan187

Fantastic story Steve,

Thank you very much for sharing. Another perspective and point of view from someone who was there on that day of infamy..

Leigh...