River Division523

Bearmon

Patchcollector

Hmm,I think that,in my experience,the River boat patches are the hardest to judge,for some reason.I have seen some that I thought right away were

repos,but they actually were authentic.I did a web search and did not find a River Division 523,but instead a River Section 523.

Here's some info:

Our journey begins as River Section 523

In August 1968 the Section was re-designated River Division 572.

This re-designation changed the Officer-in-Charge designation to that of Commanding Officer.

River Section 523

Long Xuyen, Vinh Long, My Tho, Lower Song Co Chien

Dates in Country:

August 1966 - August 1968

Commanding Officers

1. LT Bob Walsh (08/66 - 04/67)

2. LT William Calvert (04/67- 06/68)

3. LT James E. Pafias (06/68 - 08/68)

River Division 572

My Tho, Ben Tre, Son Ong Duc, Vinh Long

Dates in Country:

August 1968 - ???

Commanding Officers

1. LT James E. Pafias (08/68 - 03/69)

2. LT Niles Berry (03/69 - 12/69)

3. LCDR Roper (12/69 - ???)

River Section 523 was formed in August 1966 with its first Officer in Charge, LT Bob Walsh. LT Walsh was relieved in July 1967 by LT William Calvert. In June 1968, LT Pafias relieved LT Calvert.

In August 1968, River Section 523 was re-designated as River Division 572.

This change effected the Officer-in-Charge, who now became a Commanding Officer. A move that placed the Commanding Officer in a LCDR billet.

During the period of August 1966 until its turn-over to the Vietnamese Navy in 1971, River Section 523/River Division 572 served in the following areas

of South Vietnam: Long Xuyen, Vinh Long, My Tho, Lower Song Co Chien, Ben Tre, Son Ong Duc & Grand Canal.

During its 5 years of existence, approximately 300 men served in the Section/Division.

Now,my question is,are you sure that the number 523 is correct,because I'm having a hard time making out the number.BTW,here's a 523 River Section patch that is not original,but shows the design::

post-13386-1291696813.gif

Here's a somewhat useful tip on buying VN patches. If you're not sure if it's original or not and it's stained, don't buy it. VN patch fakers always seem to intentionally stain their stuff.

Over the years, Ive found many original VN patches at flea markets, etc. Funny how none of them were stained! (And none of the zillion M1 combat helmets I've seen at Army Navy stores and flea markets in the 1960's and 1970's were painted!- but that's another topic.)

Its a 533 repro....

I have only seen 4 real 533 patches in my collecting time!

Rarer than hen's teeth is an understatement!

how rare are real 523rd Delta Gypsy's? Thanks ABN :thumbsup:

even more RARE! I've only seen 2 real one (chain stitched) - one with the "Delta Gypsy" rocker -- the other with a "Gypsy Rover" rocker.

Airborne-Hunter

I don't mean to steal the topic, but, well I have one, it's not chain-stiched, it's machine made. I also have two matching beer cans. I might have more matching beercans and while I doubt it, I may have another patch too. I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to go through all the patches/beercans I bought, but they all came from an old school collector who bought them direct from the vet, who had collected them over three tours of duty in Vietnam. Best ABN :thumbsup:

post-1800-1291855556.jpg

vintageproductions
Here's a somewhat useful tip on buying VN patches. If you're not sure if it's original or not and it's stained, don't buy it. VN patch fakers always seem to intentionally stain their stuff.

Over the years, Ive found many original VN patches at flea markets, etc. Funny how none of them were stained! (And none of the zillion M1 combat helmets I've seen at Army Navy stores and flea markets in the 1960's and 1970's were painted!- but that's another topic.)

Amen, on the aging of patches and the painted helmets.........