INDIANA WAR MEMORIAL

BEAST

I was in downtown Indianapolis today and had a chance to make a short visit to the Indiana War Memorial (http://www.in.gov/iwm/). I only had my camera phone with me, but I thought I would take a few photos and share them.

USS INDIANAPOLIS DISPLAY

This is a new display with more uniforms and memorabilia from the USS Indianapolis.

post-203-1188436406.jpg

Only 9 Marines survived the sinking of the Indianapolis.

post-203-1188436223.jpg

post-203-1188436808.jpg

Vietnam: INDIANA RANGER

post-203-1188436865.jpg

post-203-1188436898.jpg

This museum has undergone many changes over the past 20 years. It is becoming moe diorama based, not just showing the uniforms behind a glass. If you are in Indy, it is well worth a stop!

Does this museum have the War Between the States Indiana Regimental colors? One of my ancestors served in the 1st Indiana Heavy Artillery and last I heard, the regimantal colors were in the state capitol basement.

Just curious.

Does this museum have the War Between the States Indiana Regimental colors? One of my ancestors served in the 1st Indiana Heavy Artillery and last I heard, the regimantal colors were in the state capitol basement.

Just curious.

Lee,

This museum is the depository for all of the CWSpan-Am regimental flags. Over the past decade, they have worked to conserve the flags in their collections. On their website, they show many of the flags from their collection (http://www.in.gov/iwm/battleflags/). A few of the flags are on display, but the majority are in storage. It is has been only in the past 10-15 years that they started a true effort to inventory, catalog and preserve the collection. In the past, the museum had the feeling of a poorly done, underbudgeted, small town museum. But new leadership and funding has helped to turn around the collection. It still has a long way to go, especially in the WWII collection, but it also has come a long way.