Not sure if this is the right category - skull badge

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi to all here,I have been posting in the patch category ever since I joined,and I thought it time to mosey on over and post here as well,because

I enjoy collecting badges and pins too!I picked up this unofficial jump wing(?) some years back,and then found another being sold,so I bought it too.

The first one is original,the second is a copy.The differences are pretty obvious in quality,and the original shows honest age by it's patina,

while the copy looks like it was made last week.Probably was! :lol:BTW,I seem to remember these being called "Death from Above". :packin heat:

Dont know if SF used this unofficially or even when SOG used the design.I can tell you that it was originally designed by Col William Mozey(then Captain) of 1/8 Cav,1st Cav Div. THe Jumping Mustangs.Col Mozey is the one who coined "DEATH FROM ABOVE".He designed the Winged Skull and encorporated it into a flag,death card,and til this day wears a ring with the emblem.I have asked him if wings were made and he did not think oficially they were but may have been something done later by the men or one of the members of the unit.I need to ask him more details.I believe he even owns rights to the saying and winged skull.If I remember our conversations correctly the producer of Apocolypse Now had to get his permission to use it in the movie.I still have the cards he gave me when I was a young collector.Anyone who has gone to most any show in the Minneapolis area knows the Colonel or his brother.Here is a link to the Jumping Mustang site..scroll down and the flag is pictured.

http://jumpingmustangs.com/charlie6571/c6566photos2.html

Patchcollector

Thanks Doyler for the info,and the link.I'm wondering if other units,possibly SF's,could have used the design,and the motto as well? :think:

Even though the design is similar,the skull looks different to me.When I bought the original wing,scant info came with it,I don't even remember the sellers' name

now,it's been some years back,but he sold some other badges from all eras that were genuine,and very pricey.But the info that I got when I bought them was that these were made as unofficial wear for SF guys during the Vietnam war.I did a web search for the makers name,and found one ARVN patch made by the same maker,

so the maker did exist in country during the war.Now I'm wondering if these may have been made for Regional Forces attached to SF?