Your Favorite Military Movie....

Jack's Son

Mr.Roberts, I forgot about that one, all time great....I still cry.

AND, how did a boy from University Heights learn to read a novel like "From Here To Eternity" ??

I know a boy from Bonita can't !! :w00t:

I would not have read it if it were not for a 30 day TDY to Tampa. Cable sucks so I spent most of my time reading. It took about 2 weeks to fight through the 800 pages novel. The Caine Mutiny is also a long book but it is also a long read.

A girl for Joe, William Holden; Battleground; Hell is for Heroes; The Bridge at Remagen and In Harms Way.

Jon

??.....Without Battle Scenes....??

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my favorites that have been listed:

1. Strategic Air Command (I would love to see this on blu-ray)

2. A Few Good men (I know we aren't supposed to sympathize with Jack Nicholson's character, but the older I get the more I agree with his fences speech.)

3. No Time For Sergeants

4. Mister Roberts

5. Operation Petticoat

6. A Soldier's Story

7. From Here To Eternity

A couple that haven't been mentioned:

1. A Gathering Of Eagles

2. War Games (If you were a kid in the early 80's, you always talked about WWIII in terms of when, not if, it was going to happen.)

Not a movie per se, but an excellent series is Danger UXB about a Royal Engineers bomb disposal unit during the blitz. A surprising amout of technical info and it really captures the gritty feel of WWII London.

TT

• 4 weeks later...
FS,

Is that a............"talkie"? :w00t:

It came out around '43 I think, it's the "dramatized" story of the nurses in the Philippines in 1941-1942.

The reviews from the actual vets were not to good (understandably since they went through the real thing), however it was one of the many (about half a dozen or more?) films set in the Philippines during WW2 to boost morale and war bond sales.

In No particular order

Tunes of Glory- Scottish Regiment after WWII- Alec Guinness, John Mills

STALAG 17

Gardens of Stone

Strategic Air Command

Mr. Roberts

Operation Madball

Don't go near the Water- Glen Ford, Earl Holiman

Tribes- Jan Michael Vincent, Darren McGavin, Earl Holiman

The D.I.- Jack Webb

Take the High Ground

Not a movie per se, but an excellent series is Danger UXB about a Royal Engineers bomb disposal unit during the blitz. A surprising amout of technical info and it really captures the gritty feel of WWII London.

TT

I remember that series. I was a teenager the last time I saw it but I thought it was great.