Your Favorite Military Movie....

Jack's Son

A FOREIGN AFFAIR, romantic comedy unusual in that it takes place during the Berlin Airlift period:

=====

A Foreign Affair is a 1948 American romantic comedy film directed by Billy Wilder. The screenplay by Wilder, Charles Brackett, and Richard L. Breen is based on a story by David Shaw adapted by Robert Harari.

Plot

In 1947, a United States congressional committee led by prim Phoebe Frost of Iowa (Jean Arthur) arrives in post-World War II Berlin to visit the American troops stationed there. Phoebe hears rumors that cabaret torch singer Erika von Schlütow (Marlene Dietrich), suspected of being the former mistress of either Hermann Goering or Joseph Goebbels, is being protected by an unidentified American officer. She enlists Captain John Pringle (John Lund) to assist in her investigation, unaware he is Erika's current lover.

After seeing Erika with Adolf Hitler in a newsreel filmed during the war, Phoebe asks John to take her to army headquarters to retrieve the singer's official file. In order to distract her, John woos Phoebe, who initially resists his romantic advances but eventually succumbs to his charms.

post-3976-1291657093.jpg

A great topic and there were several that came to mind for me. A couple have already been mentioned like "Gardens of Stone," "From Here to Eternity" and "Mister Roberts." I have three more that I think deserve to be considered-

"The Best Years of Our Lives" was a fantastic film about veterans returning from WWII and is a must see. I will watch it anytime that I catch it on Turner Classic Movies or "American Movie Classics.

There is a slight reference to combat in "The Caine Mutiny" which I used to use when teaching military leadership. Fred MacMurray does such a great acting job that I HATED him after seeing the movie for the first time. Heck, I even feel sorry for Old Yellowstain" even though he really wasn't much of an officer.

My final contribution is "Casablanca" which ironically stars the same Humphrey Bogart who plays Captain Queeg in the just mentioned movie. One of the best scenes EVER is when the German officers are singing in Rick's club and Victor Lazlo walks up to the band and orders them to play "the Marseillaise" which they do after Bogie gives them the nod. believe me, if you have never seen the movie, you will quickly figure out why it is considered one of the greatest films of all time.

Allan

A great topic and there were several that came to mind for me.

"The Best Years of Our Lives" was a fantastic film about veterans returning from WWII and is a must see. I will watch it anytime that I catch it on Turner Classic Movies or "American Movie Classics.

There is a slight reference to combat in "The Caine Mutiny" which I used to use when teaching military leadership. Fred MacMurray does such a great acting job that I HATED him after seeing the movie for the first time. Heck, I even feel sorry for Old Yellowstain" even though he really wasn't much of an officer.

My final contribution is "Casablanca" which ironically stars the same Humphrey Bogart who plays Captain Queeg in the just mentioned movie. One of the best scenes EVER is when the German officers are singing in Rick's club and Victor Lazlo walks up to the band and orders them to play "the Marseillaise" which they do after Bogie gives them the nod. believe me, if you have never seen the movie, you will quickly figure out why it is considered one of the greatest films of all time.

Allan

Thank you Allen.

Those are three movies that EVERYONE should watch, or watch again.

BILL THE PATCH

how about the big lift with monty ward, and five graves to cairo with erik von stroheim, i know i have a few more in my head, cant seem to think of them at the second.

They are battle scenes in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

There are? They must be pretty mild. Either way, you are not going to get an apology out of me. I have been waiting to use that line ;)

“The Wind and Lion” is one of my all-time favorite movies. It’s what Roosevelt would have WANTED to happen in Morocco, but never did.

Gardens of Stone, I've not heard of this one.

Can you tell us a bit about it.

Click here! It's a great movie, not to be missed. :thumbsup:

"Hollywood Canteen" and "This is the Army".

You can buy them as a set on DVD for relatively cheap.

I especially love the WW2 music in Hollywood Canteen..........classic.

"Stalag 17" is another classic movie with no combat.

"Victory" was a movie with no acting! I recall when the movie was made that the crowd for the big soccer match actually BOOED the players as the fans thought they were going to see a soccer match featuring Pele! Sly wasn't much of a goalkeeper!

Allan