Vietnam era Major's K-2B flightsuit with direct embroidery

Corpsmancollector

The VAW-115 suit looks great, but is rather 1980s/90s era. Judging from the letter, it might have been embroidered in the Philippines during a Westpac cruise.

nguoi tien su
On Sept. 15, 1970, the 13th deployed to Ubon Royal Thailand Air Force Base, Thailand, and on Oct. 17, 1970, flew its first combat mission in the B-57G. The squadron flew combat missions until April 12, 1972, when personnel and equipment moved to Forbes Air Force Base, Kansas, as the squadron was reduced to paper status. The 13th was inactivated on Sept. 30, 1973.

Here is the time frame of your suit : Oct 1970, April 1972.

:w00t:

These are some photos of my grouping from an 8th/13th BS pilot. Orange suit is rather ragged out with the neck in bad shape. He trans-paced in this. The winter/13th suit is what he wore when he rotated to the 13th in Japan.

Orange suit is from D--dragon flight

The patch grouping was assembled thru the kindness of several "DOOM PUSSY" 8th/13th veterans. Both variations of DOOM PUSSY patch are shown

Robert Mikesh, author of the best book regarding the B-57, flew several tours in VN and was later with the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. He was also a DOOM PUSSY pilot.

Mr Davies recently passed and these photos are dedicated to him and his kindness to me.

More photos with next post

post-1715-1291743693.jpg

post-1715-1291743716.jpg

post-1715-1291743729.jpg

Corpsmancollector
Some more 8th/13th

tankerman,

Thanks for some superb pics of what looks like an incredible and very complete grouping! I'd love to get one of the 13th patches some day.

I can actually now confirm that Maj. Bliss was in-country with the 13th at Ubon from 1971-72 flying the B-57G. Below is a photo I was kindly sent of the 13th in Thailand:

post-5339-1291745526.jpg

Is the book by Robert Mikesh; 'B-57 Canberra at War 1964 - 1972?' I must try to get a copy.

tankerman,

Thanks for some superb pics of what looks like an incredible and very complete grouping! I'd love to get one of the 13th patches some day.

I can actually now confirm that Maj. Bliss was in-country with the 13th at Ubon from 1971-72 flying the B-57G. Below is a photo I was kindly sent of the 13th in Thailand:

post-5339-1291745526.jpg

Is the book by Robert Mikesh; 'B-57 Canberra at War 1964 - 1972?' I must try to get a copy.

Hey Corpsman,

Nice photo. Lots of info in pics on occasion....a thousand words.

Yes, that is the book. Outstanding history and that of a British designed aircraft used in the VN war by the USAF. These guys flew some really hairy missions. I was privileged to speak with several of them, including Mr. Mikesh

Corpsmancollector
Hey Corpsman,

Nice photo. Lots of info in pics on occasion....a thousand words.

Yes, that is the book. Outstanding history and that of a British designed aircraft used in the VN war by the USAF. These guys flew some really hairy missions. I was privileged to speak with several of them, including Mr. Mikesh

Thanks tankerman, you're quite right there. I knew little-to-nothing of the B57 but I'm quickly becoming very interested in the operations it was involved in during the Vietnam War.

You've got some really great items above :thumbsup:

Here is your man in the Militaryusa database :

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: BLISS GEORGE W

Branch: AIR FORCE

Rate: O04

MOS: 1225A

MOS Title: Pilot

Entered: 590706

Discharged: 870531

Service Number:

State: FLORIDA

Race: CAUCASIAN

Additional info on Bliss:

date of birth: 23 Apr 1937

I also have serial number if you need it, please PM me.

From 1971 Air Force register...

Dave

Hey Dave,

Would you have a listing in that directory for a major CRAWFORD. I posted his advisors flight suit...and actually accidentally re-posted the pic in this thread. I imagine he would have been @ BienHoa around 70-71.

Thanks, Al (tankerman)

Corpsmancollector
Additional info on Bliss:

date of birth: 23 Apr 1937

I also have serial number if you need it, please PM me.

From 1971 Air Force register...

Dave

Dave, PM sent :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector

Here is some additional information on the 13th BS and their role during the Vietnam War. I’ve had the privilege of speaking with a number of 13th veterans who have provided some invaluable information which has really made my recent purchase come to life. I’d like to extend a huge thanks to those members of the 13th and also a number of forum members who provided initial information without which, this documentation would not have been possible.

Major George Bliss served with the 13th Bomb Squadron in 1971 & 72 as a pilot flying the B-57G out of Ubon RTAB, Thailand. The "G" model B-57 was the forerunner of all weather attack aircraft, with infra red search capability and low light television. At the time, the 13th BS was flying night missions from Ubon into Eastern Laos and Cambodia to interdict truck traffic on the Ho Chi Minh trail.

Below are 2 pictures I was kindly sent of the B-57g, which would have flown out of Ubon. I’m led to believe that due to the high ratio of officers/pilots to aircraft (there were approximately 11 or so ‘G’ models manufactured and used during the closing years of Vietnam) it is more than likely that Maj. Bliss would have flown these aircraft.

post-5339-1291974449.jpg

post-5339-1291974464.jpg