Vietnam era Major's K-2B flightsuit with direct embroidery

Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector

Hi all,

Here is my latest pick up from a semi-local vintage shop. It's a 1968 dated 'coverall, flying, man's very light K-2B' in a medium-reg. What really makes this cool is the direct embroidery. There's major oak leaves on the shoulders, senior pilots wings with the name 'George Bliss' and a skeleton holding a scythe dripping with blood. All the embroidery is done very well and I've included pictures of the reverse so you can see it's very tidy and neat. I'm not very educated when it comes to USAF Vietnam era pieces, but this garment looked and felt good when I saw it, so I took the plunge. I'd really like to hear some opinions of the more experienced members on the board; is it good? Is the embroidery done in theatre? (I thought perhaps Thai) Does anyone know what the skeleton motif might mean?

I did a quick Google search for George Bliss and something did come up in relation to Plattsburgh AFB and the 380th Strategic Aerospace Wing (Heavy), flying B-52s:

"To replace the B-47s, the Wing was assigned the B-52G "Stratofortress" bomber and the first B-52G to arrive was christened "Champlain Lady" by Mrs. Wallace Wall Jr., wife of Col. Wall Jr., 380th SAW commander, during dedication ceremonies on June 19, 1966. Transferring here from Loring AFB, Maine, the giant B-52s assigned to the 528th BS took positions on the base flightline next to the KC-135s of the 380th ARS. The crew selected to fly the first B-52G to Plattsburgh was comprised of Maj. Paul W.Maul, aircraft commander; Capt. George W.Bliss, copilot; Maj. Herbert H.Miller, radar navigator; Capt. David L.Scearce, navigator; Maj. John D.DeGraaf, electronics warfare officer; and MSgt. Donald E.Brooks, gunner".

Could this be the guy? It goes on to say that the 380th flew B-52s and KC-135s in Vietnam:

"The KC-135 crews and aircraft supported Southeast Asia operations from October 1966 until 1973. The B-52 crews served from 1968 until 1970."

Any comments would be appreciated.

Will

post-5339-1291552990.jpg

Here is your man in the Militaryusa database :

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: BLISS GEORGE W

Branch: AIR FORCE

Rate: O04

MOS: 1225A

MOS Title: Pilot

Entered: 590706

Discharged: 870531

Service Number:

State: FLORIDA

Race: CAUCASIAN

Very nice pick-up Will!! I've got some directly embroidered items myself. Your man is only a syllable or two from being a former President. Now wouldn't that have been a find!?

Ian :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector
Here is your man in the Militaryusa database :

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: BLISS GEORGE W

Branch: AIR FORCE

Rate: O04

MOS: 1225A

MOS Title: Pilot

Entered: 590706

Discharged: 870531

Service Number:

State: FLORIDA

Race: CAUCASIAN

Andrei,

Many thanks, you are the research king!

Looks like it was a good purchase :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector
Very nice pick-up Will!! I've got some directly embroidered items myself. Your man is only a syllable or two from being a former President. Now wouldn't that have been a find!?

Ian :thumbsup:

Thanks Ian, when I first saw it I actually thought that's what it said :lol:

Great find!

1225A is the USAF specialty code for a B-57 pilot.

He was obviously flying with the 13th TBS out of Bien Hoa. Here is my cap from the same unit:

13th_t10.jpg

The patch design is very similar. The designs embroidered onto K2B suits were often variations of the official patch.

Corpsmancollector
Great find!

1225A is the USAF specialty code for a B-57 pilot.

He was obviously flying with the 13th TBS out of Bien Hoa. Here is my cap from the same unit:

13th_t10.jpg

The patch design is very similar. The designs embroidered onto K2B suits were often variations of the official patch.

Thanks for the fantastic info, beezman. I was hoping you'd take a look.

I just did a search on the B-57 as it wasn't an aircraft I'm familiar with. Seems like the 13th TBS were quite active during Vietnam, in a reconnaissance role.

Your cap is fantastic and the insignia does look very similar, I think we have a winner!

Johnny Signor

It's most definately the 13th TBS, the photo of the canberra site even shows one of the pilots (far right) with the 13th emblem on it ,the skeleton carrying the reaping scythe was known as "Oscar" ,I had some years ago an Orange flight with patches sewn onto it of the 8th Bomb sqd and the Doom Pussy Patches along with an A flight Knight patch , also have the book written about the unit titled "Doom Pussy" .

Corpsmancollector

Gil,

Many thanks for the link, it provides some really great info. To begin with I didn't realise that the B-57 operated in an offensive role, I thought it was primarily recon. Very interesting!

Here is some info about the mission of the B-57 in Vietnam, taken from the above site:

"During the Vietnam War, the B-57 was chosen as the first jet aircraft to strike North Vietnam. Its long range and loiter capability with a large payload made it the logical choice as the "Night Intruder" for interdiction on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. The use of fire bombs, hard bombs up to 1000 pounds, 20 millimeter and 50 caliber guns made the B-57 a formidable weapons delivery system against the transfer of supplies through Laos and Cambodia into South Vietnam. With the aid of C-130's, OV-10's and Ov-2 aircraft as Forward Air Controllers (FAC), the B-57 was the most effective system used against transporting war goods into South Vietnam through Laos and Cambodia.

The Eighth and Thirteenth Tactical Bomb Squadrons (8TBS, 13TBS) stationed at Clark Air Base, Philippines initially launched sorties from Bien Hoa. Later, Danang Air Base near the DMZ became the base of operations. The final station was Phan Rang (Happy Valley) where the 8TBS, as the oldest continuously operating bomb squadron in the Air Force (World War I), continued the mission until 1969.

The pilot was responsible for the 250 knot dive run and bomb release, but the back seat navigator was a second pair of eyes, spotter, observer, navigator and radio operator. On the pullout, the aircraft and crew were under a four "g" stress without the use of special equipment. Several crews were lost in midair collisions, target fixation and ground fire during the night missions. The most sophisticated piece of equipment in the aircraft was the rheostat which lighted the manually operated bomb sight."

Johnny, were you referring to the picture below? It's quite difficult to tell what patch is on the pilot's suit on the far right, but it could well be an 'Oscar'.

post-5339-1291629199.jpg

Mark, if you can, please share your 8th TBS items, I'm sure we'd all love to see them!

Thanks again for all the helps guys, I didn't think this much information would turn up when I purchased the suit so I'm really pleased.

here is my favorite b-57/EB-57 squadron, the 17th / 4677th Defense System Evaluation Squadron. used to watch them fly over Malmstrom AFB

Mark

post-1786-1291635469.jpg

post-1786-1291635494.jpg

post-1786-1291635512.jpg

Corpsmancollector
here are the patches from the 8th

Mark,

Thanks for sharing, they're some great patches! I love the 'Doom Pussy' one in the middle, I assume there was not a great deal made?

Corpsmancollector

Here's a little more info on the 13th's involvement in Vietnam, with the B-57:

"When the war in Vietnam broke out the 13th was again called into action, flying night missions with the B-57. The squadron was noted for their DOOM Pussy patches given to crews who "Flew into the Jaws of the Cat of Death". They started flying in Vietnam in May 1964. The squadron flew 1,000 sorties in Vietnam before they were deactivated in 1968.

Less than one year later the 13th was reactivated using B-57G aircraft. Deployed to Thailand the 13th again flew night intruder missions. The squadron was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award. In the force draw down after Vietnam, the 13th was again deactivated."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_Bomb_Squadron