2 new Vietnam era Navy patches

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Here are two new patches to my collection. A freind in Florida sent them to me as a thank you for helping him get something for his collection. These were spares from his collection and are nice examples of the USS Randolph and USS Shangri La. Being a former Navy carrier sailor I love getting carrier realted patches and artifacts. Enjoy

Robert

Part 1 Shangri La, CVS-38

post-6492-1291510582.jpg

post-6492-1291510605.jpg

• 1 year later...

Found this patch at an estate sale today. It doesn't have the yellow coloring in it like the one posted above. Designated CVA-38, which according to my research was the period between 1952 and 1969. Any comments or information on the patch will be much appreciated. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1329427065.jpg

Found this patch at an estate sale today. It doesn't have the yellow coloring in it like the one posted above. Designated CVA-38, which according to my research was the period between 1952 and 1969. Any comments or information on the patch will be much appreciated. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1329427158.jpg

My Dad was on the Shang '54-56

Steve Hesson

My Dad was on the Shang '54-56

Steve Hesson

Thanks Steve. Any idea why this patch does not have the yellow coloring? Could it be an older version? Thanks, Al.

Thanks Steve. Any idea why this patch does not have the yellow coloring? Could it be an older version? Thanks, Al.

Well, the un colored one is earlier, note "CVA". The colored one is "CVS". That may mean nothing, could just how it was made. And, honeltly, until this thread originally posted, I had never seen a Shang patch.

Steve Hesson

Well, the un colored one is earlier, note "CVA". The colored one is "CVS". That may mean nothing, could just how it was made. And, honeltly, until this thread originally posted, I had never seen a Shang patch.

Steve Hesson

Thanks Steve. Yes, the CVA designation dates it from 1952-1969. It is fully embroidered and I can find no traces of yellow ever being on it, so I don't think that it is faded, but maybe some of our patch experts can shed light on it. Thanks again, Al.