Edson Raider Corpsman Grouping

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

I had this grouping given to me last Friday. I just snapped some quick photos of one aspect of the grouping and will post more photos soon.

Kurt Barickman

gleh_070.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Thanks for the postive comment, he is deceased but I acquired it from his family.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Forgot to mention that he was with Headquarters Company and later joined the 2nd Division.

Kurt Barickman

Outstanding...Some guys get all the good stuff! Note that his PO 1st class patches have the pre war rear facing eagles, which are rather scarce to say the least. Can we see the other ones underneath as well?

CB

Raidercollector

Very nice pick up Kurt

Raider groups are my main collecting.If you decide to sell them give me a shot. Can I see a close up of the dog tags.

Any photos?

Nick

Striking 9th

Kurt you are a magnet for this stuff aren't you. I also go out of my way for Raider items. Can't wait to see the rest of the story. The tags are my fav so far. Very nice.

Scott

Kurt Barickman

Thanks for the comments, am very busy until this weekend and will take some more shots then:

CB:

Yes, he was a corpsman with the 6th Regiment on Iceland in 1940 and I suppose that is how he has those earlier opposite crow facing patches.

Nick:

Yes, there are two photograph albums and I be taking some of the better shots and posting them here and will copy for myself as I must retun them:

Nick:

I do an awful lot of looking and work hard for it. It doesn't always happen like this for example I spent a bunch of money on gas and took the whole day two Thursdays ago and returned home empty handed. Three US collectors here recently told me that they don't know anybody else who hunts as hard as I do. Not trying to brag but I do quite a bit of research, hunting and hounding.

Kurt Barickman

Raidercollector

Well Kurt congrads on your hard work. I love the hobby to. hunting is one of the best parts. It does not always work out but it has its rewards when you find a group like you did. Very rare indeed.You are the medal hunter of minnesota.Mike must be jealous. Can,t wait to see the photos. Any photos of Red Mike in there.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I can't say I'm jealous of Kurt (OK, maybe every now and then w00t.gif ), he puts the research time and effort, and just plain work, into his hunting, and it pays off for him in spades sometimes! Like his post noted though, I am sure there is a lot of used gas and time with no results, so I always wish Kurt the best of luck! I am just glad to see what he comes up with, as we usually talk at shows and I get to hear about his latest treasures. I just can't (or won't - I am lazy oftentimes!) devote the time to it as he does, so I don't come up with the goodies he does.

And for everyone, I think Kurt's posts very well illustrate the incorrect (I think) and often heard collector lament of "there's nothing out there anymore". Kurt proves otherwise, and just goes to show that with research, persistence, and a lot of time spent, there IS stuff still out there to find, you just have to make the effort. As much as I wish I could still walk into antique shows and malls and fill my trunk, that is no longer the case. A lot of stuff is in fact there for the picking, you just have to A. track down who has it, B. invest the time into making and maintaining genuine relationships to where people feel like they want to pass the items on, and C. realize that some things you will get and some you won't!

Post more Kurt!

Mike

Well Kurt congrads on your hard work. I love the hobby to. hunting is one of the best parts. It does not always work out but it has its rewards when you find a group like you did. Very rare indeed.You are the medal hunter of minnesota.Mike must be jealous. Can,t wait to see the photos. Any photos of Red Mike in there.

Nick

I had this grouping given to me last Friday. I just snapped some quick photos of one aspect of the grouping and will post more photos soon.

Kurt Barickman

Here is some info for you on him Kurt ,

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

Kurt,

A very nice grouping. Like Gutkowski, I tried to find some info on him on the book by Joseph H. Alexander "Edson's Raiders - The 1st Marine Raiders Battalion in World War II," but I didn't have any luck. Here is my one and only named Raider item; Rushton was a BAR man.

post-70-1188604811.jpg

Schnicklfritz

Hi Kurt,

That's a great Raider patch! I was going through the Marine Raider's association book late last night and they have a section listing Raider patches. They ID the style in your photo as the first official issued patch made in New Zealand. The second official issued patch is the Austrailian made patch of mercerized cloth that looks like it is a woven type of patch. Any possibilities of a close up?? The subject brings to mind a few questions about official issue Raider patches in WW2. I have the "Casper the Friendly Ghost" version, but did not see it listed in the Raider's refrence. ... ???

Cheers!

Marc