Boxed wings.

David B

• 3 weeks later...
John thanks for posting! he White & Co. wings always interest me in that mosrt folks consider them sweetheart wings likely based on the size and weight. (and at least one photo kindly shared by Patrick IIRC) The thing that always seems strange is why so many of them i.e. they appear so frequently and are so simple to all the other examples of sweetheats wings with mutli colored shields, stones, or other added items to make them more attactive to the ladies. Thoughts?

Cheers

John

Sorry I never answered back on this John.

Besides the normal and easily spotted things like colors and stones, I believe that the findings are the key.

If they are heavy, or appear to be constructed to be worn every day, then they are probably pilot wings.

If the findings seem to be of a lighter contruction, then there is probably a good chance it is sweetheart piece.

That's my opinion.

Cheer's, John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My apologies in dredging up this old thread I started 5 years ago but I was wondering if anyone has more boxed wings to add?

I wish I'd kept the boxed Amico wings I posted at the start of the thread and perhaps tried to research Lt W E Green of the Savoie Provisional Group and his sweetheart he sent his wings to, I wonder what happened to them both :think:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are a pair of boxed wings that belonged to Franklin Richard Shipe ARM2/c USNR VB-110 was killed on a training flight when his Navy PB4Y-1 flew into mountain in heavy fog near Breckton South Wales on 24 Aug. 1944. He was awarded the Air Medal for anti-submarine operations during the D-Day landings.

post-9487-0-84709500-1395415435.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my only boxed set of wings, found in a local antique shop a couple years ago. It's a sterling set in a Balfour box, with a "LGB" marking on the back of the wings.

From a bit of research, I believe the white ribbon to be for the Massachusetts National Guard long-service medal (or something like that, if you know exactly please let me know!), with the ribbon representing 9 years and the roman numerals representing an additional 15 years, so a total of 24 years. Theoretically, if this man joined the National Guard right after WWI in 1919, that would put this set as being made in 1943.

post-112103-0-36773200-1412873115.jpg

• 9 months later...

Time for a thread resurrection :D

I've just acquired a boxed fullsize Naval Aviator wing by Amico, marked AMICO Sterling + 1/20 10K with smooth faced sterling clutches. The usual Amico box with a sticker on the reverse showing it came from the Ship's service dept N.A.S Pensacola.

post-554-0-01497000-1437836328.jpg

post-554-0-14430200-1437836342.jpg

post-554-0-48217400-1437836357.jpg

post-554-0-09431200-1437836377.jpg

David, I always enjoy seeing this thread resurface!

Here's a three-inch H&H hallmarked Pilot badge...

IMG_6863.JPG

IMG_6864.JPG

Chris,

That is a very special find. I never thought I would ever see a WWI wing in its original box.

As rare as they come. +++

cp

• 3 years later...