Boxed wings.

David B

Hi all,

I thought a thread showing boxed wings would be good, so if you have any then please post. It will be interesting to see how many variations there are.

I only have two at the moment and I've posted them before but I'll put them here to get the ball rolling.

First up is a Vanguard Navy Aviator clutch back wing in it's matching maker marked box, wing is marked Vanguard N.Y 1/20-10K G.F.ON STER.Pin posts have solder mounds and the clutches are sterling marked and smooth faced.

post-554-1188399977.jpg

post-554-1188399988.jpg

Next is a 3 inch USAAF Amico Sterling marked wing in it's typical Amico box.

post-554-1188400252.jpg

The Amico logo on the top of the box is damaged due to this being taped to it...

post-554-1188400316.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David!

As I promised here are two I will have to get the others later but this is a start. The 1.5 inch came from Maj. Gen. Ralph H. "Smoke" Spanjer, USMC (Ret.) who flew F4U's in WW2. He was promoted to Major General on Aug. 26, 1971 and assigned Director of Personnel of the Marine Corps. He subsequently and eventually served as operations Officer of the Pacific Command where he directed operations in the Pacific during the final years of Vietnam, including the planning and execution of the return of American POWs. He took command of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing at Cherry Point and later served as Deputy Commander, Headquarters, Fleet Marine Force, Atlantic. He retired from active duty in 1977. (this came from his obituary)

Cheers

John

Both wings are pinbacks - the 2 inch is marked BALFOUR 1/2010KGF (embossed type) - the 1.5 inch is marked BALFOUR STERLING (embossed type)

boxedwingsvf5.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Rather than start anew, I dredged up this old thread.

A couple of boxed USN wings.

The first is a Balfour boxed USN wing.

post-1519-1275159540.jpg

The back of the box. This wing came from (more than likely) the Navy Exchange at Pensacola. The man from who's estate it was purchased, never went overseas, and after flight school (at Pensacola) in 1945, seemed to have been attached to a supply role and 'issued" himself a ton of stuff. For awhile, I was seeing all sorts of uniforms and jackets and boots and stuff named to this guy at the local flea markets and ASMIC shows.

Still, not the original price!

post-1519-1275159723.jpg

This is, I think a much rarer wing and box. It is for a NANCO wing. The interesting thing is that many people would assume that NANCO may have been making wings in the 20' and 30's. But this wing was right out of the estate of a pilot who didn't get his wings until just before the war ended in 1945. I don't think it has ever been worn.

The wing is simply marked NANCO on the back.

post-1519-1275159905.jpg

John Cooper

Super wings guys thanks for posting these and in the box as well!!! I love the NANCO!

John

BTW Patrick I will only forgive you once for posting the Balfour logo upside down :o :disgust: lol

• 1 month later...

Here is a set if WWII Pilot's Shirt size issue wings that I picked up about eight years ago. Sterling marked, no hallmarks on box, other then Sterling Silver.

Cheers,

John

post-12439-1280080893.jpg

post-12439-1280080903.jpg

John Cooper

Super additions Dave and John - thanks for posting. BTW John that pattern is typically associated with Bell.

Cheers

John

• 5 months later...

John thanks for posting! he White & Co. wings always interest me in that mosrt folks consider them sweetheart wings likely based on the size and weight. (and at least one photo kindly shared by Patrick IIRC) The thing that always seems strange is why so many of them i.e. they appear so frequently and are so simple to all the other examples of sweetheats wings with mutli colored shields, stones, or other added items to make them more attactive to the ladies. Thoughts?

Cheers

John