Boxed wings.

David B

Wow, did I really start this thread 12 years ago!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MastersMate

FWIW, a clue as to age on the USN insignia. Those items that have the price tag attached from the Ships Service Store would be pre 1950. In January 1950 the USN Ships Service Stores were changed to Navy Exchange along with the other services.. How long it took to change price tags could be a factor to consider..

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2015 at 8:18 AM, David B said:

Any more boxed wings out there?

@David B, It has been a while since anyone added to this thread.

This one recently came my way:

921647073_TiffanyNA-1.jpeg.ce54f856c16929ad6611be83410ddb36.jpeg

Tiffany NA in original box

Any more boxed wings in the half decade (or so) since this post was last active?

Cheers!  

Beautiful wings Chris and even the box looks top quality too!

I can't get over I started this thread 14 years ago. I haven't had any boxed wings since back then. I'm struggling to find them here in the UK.

9 minutes ago, David B said:

Beautiful wings Chris and even the box looks top quality too!

I can't get over I started this thread 14 years ago. I haven't had any boxed wings since back then. I'm struggling to find them here in the UK.

David,

Thank you.  

This is a really great, educational thread, and hopefully some more examples will surface.  They aren't all that easy to find on this side of the pond either!  I don't believe many wing boxes were kept.  We are lucky when sometimes a small cache of new, old stock will surface.   In all my years of collecting, I have found only two boxed WW1 wings, plus one empty box.

Cheers!

Chris

Yes boxed wings must be quite scarce, this thread is 14 years old, has had over 15,000 views and we've only had 50 odd replies.

Chris, is your Tiffany NA 10K gold?

This is a great thread. I have one example to share, although the box has seen better days. I believe the wing and box have always been together as it came out of an estate sale together a very long time ago. Best, Kevin

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I'm quite pleased I can add to this thread once again.

Nothing particularly rare but it's still a very nice boxed AMICO Naval Aviator wing and complete with the original price tag. Purchased from N.A.S Pensacola for $2.75

20210706_151440.jpg

20210706_152331.jpg

20210706_152353.jpg

20210706_152441.jpg

20210706_152503.jpg

20210706_152527.jpg

@David B

As you so aptly pointed out up thread a bit, after nearly 15 years, considering the paucity of specimens shared, and unless people are holding out on posting them; boxed wings seem to be quite scarce indeed!

Lovely example!

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Looking back through this thread I last had a boxed wing in 2015 which funnily enough was an AMICO Naval Aviator from Pensacola, its taken me 6 years to find another.

This latest one was donated to a charity shop here in the UK and when the charity is given anything of value they auction it on eBay. It cost me the equivalent of approx $50, not bad I thought.