Help Iding Riding Breeches

carpen404

I thought I was buying Officer's Pinks Riding Breeches, but now I'm not sure what I have? The zippers read CONMAR USA...

I'm not sure what type of material the pants are made of...Thank you, to any one who can help...George

post-9292-1291410461.jpg

post-9292-1291410473.jpg

To me, zippers - especially at the legs - do not speak well for military usage. Remember, breeches went away circa 1941. Zippers were just barely getting started then in trousers.

Tom

kyhistorian01
To me, zippers - especially at the legs - do not speak well for military usage. Remember, breeches went away circa 1941. Zippers were just barely getting started then in trousers.

Tom

Actually Breeches did not completly disappear in 1941. Some old cavalry officers including Patton wore them well after 1941. I have a photo of a freind of mine who was a Lt Col in WWII and he is wearing riding breeches stateside in 1947. I actually have the pants with his name, rank and a 1946 tailor label in them.

Robert

Actually Breeches did not completly disappear in 1941. Some old cavalry officers including Patton wore them well after 1941. I have a photo of a freind of mine who was a Lt Col in WWII and he is wearing riding breeches stateside in 1947. I actually have the pants with his name, rank and a 1946 tailor label in them.

Robert

Agreed. However, I was speaking of general issue. Brass hats could wear what they want. Heck, Patton wore a pearl handled revolver, too - hardly issue. And I saw old retired Army cavalrymen (by then instructors at Culver Military Academy) wearing breeches with their uniforms in the 60's.

Yes, the breeches could possibly be Army, but the odds are - in my opinion - not good at all. Private purchase/use, especially at a military academy - maybe.

Again, to me it's the zippers that cause problems.

Tom

Officer's private purchase possibly, don't think they were Quartermaster issue. I know cotton and wool breeches were worn by the mounted Cavalry in the Philippines up untill at least 1942.

General Apathy
I thought I was buying Officer's Pinks Riding Breeches, but now I'm not sure what I have? The zippers read CONMAR USA...

I'm not sure what type of material the pants are made of...Thank you, to any one who can help...George

Hi Carpen404, I left school and trained to be a tailor, when I became more accomplished at taking measurements and laying drafts I was moved into the department of the firm making riding breeches.

The bespoke tailoring company I trained at and worked for made the highest standard of breeches supplying the tailors within the Saville Row area of London, and including their own labels within the breeches.

Certainly in England the material that you have was called Cavalry Twill ( USA ??? ) and the leather used on the inside of the knees was Doeskin a supple but strong animal skin.

Breeches were designed along the lines of an ancient Asian Indian trouser called Chudridar's, a tight garment from ankle to knee and then quite spacious around the thigh. Victorian officers serving in India adopted the style and used them when riding polo horses, and later carried over into military wear.

Like to make a mention here that many American officers had their private purchase uniforms made or tailored by the many tailoring stores in Saville Row during World war Two

lewis

Patton wore ivory handled pistols! "Only a pimp or a river boat gambler wears pearl handledv pistols", said General Patton.

Patton wore ivory handled pistols! "Only a pimp or a river boat gambler wears pearl handledv pistols", said General Patton.

You are RIGHT!

OOPS! :emba0005: Sorry George!

Tom