USAF advisors flight suit

tankerman

Hello All,

Well you guys were able to help with my MAC/SOG jacket so how about this flight suit?

Standard K2B flight suit dyed black, as was very common in the RVNAF. Tag still in uniform but blackened. Green tint shows in nylon around zippers.

3 RVNAF patches are printed. Rank (major) and senior pilot wings are hand sewn. Name is machine sewn on OD fatigue material.

23rd Tactical Wing was based at Bien Hoa.

112Observation Squadron (blue cobras) flew O-1's and U-17's. I would assume in a FAC role

I tried to ID this pilot about 6 years ago with no success. Perhaps some of you can put me on the correct path.

Pics of his JJ to follow.

Came out of a thrift near DOBBINS AFB about 6 years ago.

AL

post-1715-1291251467.jpg

post-1715-1291251496.jpg

post-1715-1291251512.jpg

Here is CRAWFORD"s jungle jacket. "68 dated

Major rank and wings hand sewn.

Name and USAF appear machine sewn.

OH...sewn in loose stitches with black thread in the neck of the flight suit is 297A...kinda like a laundry mark.

post-1715-1291252453.jpg

post-1715-1291252464.jpg

post-1715-1291252476.jpg

Im at Dobbins now, wish I was here 6 years ago!! been here since 2005, Nice Flight suit!

Hey, Chuck...thrift no longer there. Even pulled a USAF "TIGER" jacket at one time. I can put pics of it later. I'm down near Newnan.

Yea, I did not know of a thrift near dobbins. Its kinda funny, with all the antique stores, etc. around here, I never find any good militaria items. AND, never any items from Lockheed and it is right up the street! Gotta keep looking thou!! Post pics when you can, would like to see the jacket.

This is the first flight suit I have seen like this outside of wartime photos.

It's a bit odd in that more typically a USAF officer would of had US style rank on the shoulders, and then the Vietnamese equivilant rank sewn in the middle of the uniform. But as always with Vietnam era items, there are exceptions to the exceptions.

The patches all look right, and of course having the matching Jungle Jacket just seals the provenance. Nice set. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Any ideas on how I might possibly ID this pilot??. My efforts a few years ago produced no results.

Is there any kind of database of USAF advisors in VN?

Thanks again for any ideas.

AL

That is just great .

owen

Hey Owen, any idea how I could get a bio on this guy? I ran out of ideas a few years back when I got this suit.

Great looking suit! He was an advisor to the 23d VNAF Wing; it means he was assigned to AFAT-2 in Bien Hoa. This Air Force Advisory Team had only 42 personnel. The other patch is the 112th Liaison/Observation Squadron, meaning he was most likely a U-17 or O-1 pilot.

Crawford is alas a very common name, so he cannot be found on militaryusa.com