George Patton Signed WWI Discharge 303 Battallion Tank Corp

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1188307241.jpg

What I would do to claim this discharge belongs to me but I would be lying. Quick story on this item. I go to a lot of auctions and there is this older woman at most of them who actually collects military. We always talk and she really is into military history and she never spends much money so sometimes I back off on items and let her have them. Well, she purchased this item at an auction I usually attend but did not go to the night this discharge showed up and she paid the high, over of top way to much whooping amount of $7.00 for this item. I still cannot sit down from kicking myself in the butt for the past month or so. Any way, she asked me if I could find out the information on this soldier. If you cannot read the info here it is. Private Wilfred G. Norman 403639 Co B 303 Tank Battalion Tank Corp. Born New York City discharged April 12, 1919 Camp Meade MD. Signed GS Patton Colonel Tank Corp. I know that there was the big fire in St. Louis but any info on this soldier would be appreciated. Actually I am glad this woman found this item because there are dealers at this auction that I call the flock of volchurs, not sure on spelling, they buy anything and everything for resale and make it real hard for collectors by speculating on everything. As they say eBay has made everyone into an exoert. Don't get me wrong I am all for people making money but these guys are stricly in it for the money and don't give two craps about the historical value of anything. I don't know how to explain it but these guys would most likely sell their children if they thought they could get top dollar for them. Do you all know the types I am talking about? So, with all that said this little old lady had a little bit of knowledge that served her well and realized that Patton had signed this item and therefore walked away with a great item right under the nose of all the speculators. Also, she recently took this item to the Antiques Road Show and they told her it was from the wrong war and if it was from WWII it would be worth more. They estimated the value at $500. I feel as if that is low considering not only the fact that Patton signed but also because it is an early armor item. What do you think? Thanks John

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1188322627.jpg

I am no expert but by looking at other examples of his signature I have no doubt that it is real. The scan I posted is bad here is a better photo of her holding the discharge and I did see it out of the frame and the signature is not a copy. Thanks

Now this discharge tripped a memory. I recall a fellow came to me looking for a job in 1970 and had one of these discharges signed by Patton as part of his identification. The old gentleman was almost 90 years old at the time. I could not believe that he still had this discharge that he carried in his wallet.