WWI Aero Squadron Pennant

Pike

I'm new to the Forum and not sure if this is the place to post my question regarding a WWI or post WWI American Squadron Pennant I have in my collection. I attached a photo here. It measures approx 14" x 36" and longer with the tassels. It is for the 669th Aero Squadron. All nomenclature is old world quality on this wool pennant with everything sewn and or embroidered. Appears to be in almost excellent condition. Anyone know anything about the 669th Squadron or where I can find something on it? I found something that may indicate Wright-Patterson from the early days of WWI, but nothing else. Also found a grave marker in California from a veteran who apparently was posted with this outfit. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me something about the history. Thanks!

post-18156-1291167610.jpg

Wrong war, wrong 669th.

The 669th Aero Squadron (Supply) was organized Feb 1918 at Kelly Field, TX; was at Wilbur Wright Field, OH in May 1918; demobilized in Apr 1919 at Wilbur Wright Field, OH. The squadron had no overseas service. This information is from the government published WW1 Order of Battle, Zone of the Interior, Volume 3, Part 3.

Howdy and Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, thats not the same outfit. What you linked to was the 669 Bomb Squadron. 669th Aero Squadron is much earlier. I have found a few references to vet's buried in various cemetaries around America who were in this Aviation Unit. Several died in the 1920's, while one guy wound up working for Brewster Aircraft in Buffalo NY. Somewhere, I saw references to an Aviation/Signal Corps ordnance outfit at McCook Field, earlier named Huffman Field, where the Wright Bro's started out. This all ultimately (if I understand this correctly), became the famous Wright-Pat. One vague reference I found said the 668th and 669th were never activated. So why make up an elaborate and beautiful pennant for a unit that didn't exist?! Again, I 'preciate your efforts, but I'm still on the hunt as to what exactly was the 669th AERO SQUADRON.

Howdy and Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, thats not the same outfit. What you linked to was the 669 Bomb Squadron. 669th Aero Squadron is much earlier. I have found a few references to vet's buried in various cemetaries around America who were in this Aviation Unit. Several died in the 1920's, while one guy wound up working for Brewster Aircraft in Buffalo NY. Somewhere, I saw references to an Aviation/Signal Corps ordnance outfit at McCook Field, earlier named Huffman Field, where the Wright Bro's started out. This all ultimately (if I understand this correctly), became the famous Wright-Pat. One vague reference I found said the 668th and 669th were never activated. So why make up an elaborate and beautiful pennant for a unit that didn't exist?! Again, I 'preciate your efforts, but I'm still on the hunt as to what exactly was the 669th AERO SQUADRON.

Read Post #3.

Wrong war, wrong 669th.

The 669th Aero Squadron (Supply) was organized Feb 1918 at Kelly Field, TX; was at Wilbur Wright Field, OH in May 1918; demobilized in Apr 1919 at Wilbur Wright Field, OH. The squadron had no overseas service. This information is from the government published WW1 Order of Battle, Zone of the Interior, Volume 3, Part 3.

Allright! Now we're gettin' somewhere. Is there anyway to find out exactly what this unit did? Not much on 'em? Kelly and Wilbur Wright Fields were both early US Aviation. Wonder if there is someway to find out what this unit did? I 'preciate your efforts. Mil Gracias hoss!

Allright! Now we're gettin' somewhere. Is there anyway to find out exactly what this unit did? Not much on 'em? Kelly and Wilbur Wright Fields were both early US Aviation. Wonder if there is someway to find out what this unit did? I 'preciate your efforts. Mil Gracias hoss!

"Supply" was one of the various functional designations for Aero Squadrons. Others were pursit, day bombardment, service, observation, night observation, repair, instruction, construction, training, park, depot, spruce, replacement.

At Kelly Field there was an aviation general supply depot. At Wilbur Wright Field there was an aviation general supply depot and a temporary supply depot. I sumise a supply squadron would man installations like that.

"Supply" was one of the various functional designations for Aero Squadrons. Others were pursit, day bombardment, service, observation, night observation, repair, instruction, construction, training, park, depot, spruce, replacement.

At Kelly Field there was an aviation general supply depot. At Wilbur Wright Field there was an aviation general supply depot and a temporary supply depot. I sumise a supply squadron would man installations like that.

That would probably be correct. Just wish there was a place to look at this information. Thank You again!

That would probably be correct. Just wish there was a place to look at this information. Thank You again!

Find the WW1 Order of Battle volumes, they conatin a wealth of information on the WW1 US Army. I don't know if they are on-line, but they can fairly easily be found from book dealers or through the Government Printing Office. Originally printed from 1931-1949, they were reprinted by the US Army Center of Military History in 1988.

Find the WW1 Order of Battle volumes, they conatin a wealth of information on the WW1 US Army. I don't know if they are on-line, but they can fairly easily be found from book dealers or through the Government Printing Office. Originally printed from 1931-1949, they were reprinted by the US Army Center of Military History in 1988.

Thanks Mucho! 'Preciate the information Pard!

oskar_2ndchev

They're also available in a three-volume CD set:

US Government Printing Office