Late War Civil War kepi

chrisdumford

I recently acquired a late Civil War 10th US Regulars officers kepi. The kepi is marked on the inside of the top lining with the stamp " Baker & McKenney Military Goods, 63 Walker Street, New York". The 63 Walker Street address was only used for a short time when John Baker Military goods merged with J. H. Mckenney in January of 1864. This address was originally the address of John Baker Military goods. A Couple of months later, Baker and McKenney moved to 141 Grand Street where they maintained that address until bought by Riddabock in 1880. Thus, any military item marked Baker & McKenney with the 63 Walker Street address is a wartime item. This Kepi was most likely made for a member of the 10th US regulars who were stationed at Fort Hamilton in New York between September 14, 1863 and April 23, 1864. The most likely original owner of this kepi was Lieutenant John Smyth of the 10th who was promoted from 2nd to 1st Lieutenant on January 28, 1864. he was the only officer in the 10th Regulars commissioned during the period that this kepi was most likely made. The kepi is about 2-1/4" high in front and about 4-3/4" high in the back. It conforms to the so-called low crowned McClellan cap noted by Edgar Howell in his 1969 publication, “United States Army Headgear, 1855-1902”. Buttons are backmarked "D. Evans Extra".

post-4312-1291145710.jpg

10th US Regulars kepi

post-4312-1291145785.jpg

Front view of Infantry officers embroidered hunting horn insignia.

post-4312-1291145802.jpg

Interior of the Kepi. The primary lining is light weight osneburg and the top lining is oilcloth.

• 6 years later...

Hello- very nice hat and the research you provided was very helpful. I have a kepi that I believe to be Civil War, but there is no label so I am primarily relying on measurements and construction design. Can you tell me how you measured the rear of the hat to arrive at 4.75 inches? Did you measure on the outside from the base of the brim to the peak of the crown in the rear or did you measure from the inside peak to the bottom of the sweatband? Thanks in advance. It will help me a lot to compare the measurements of my hat to yours.

post-34986-0-49440000-1489376570_thumb.jpg

Is this the same type cap on this pipe smoking officer?

(officer unknown, but unit is a 1st, unknown if 1st U.S. Infantry or a 1st in one of the states regiment)

M24 Chaffee

Great addition to any civil war collection! I always enjoy seeing Civil War headgear.

Frank